Monday, December 5, 2011

TWD - Earl Grey Madeleines and Honey-Almond Fig Tart


The first Tuesdays with Dorie double-header for December is Earl Grey Madeleines, chosen by Nicole of Bakeologie, and Honey-Almond Fig Tart, chosen by Kayte of Grandma's Kitchen Table.

Just as we are at the end of Baking - From My Home to Yours, I think I have gotten the hang of this madeleine caper.  I get humps on my mads, I don't overfill the molds, and I know to check them before the end of the recommended baking time because they are nearly always done way before then.  These madeleines contain Earl Grey tea-infused butter, hence their name.  As a general rule, I can't abide the soapy taste of Earl Grey tea, but it only comes across subtly in these mads and is not bad at all.  I ate three of these as proof.





Our second dish, Honey-Almond Fig Tart, is one that I made earlier.  Due to a lack of time and figs being as dear as poison here at the moment (between $40 and $50/kg), I did not make it again, although it is a devine tart.  If you have a fig tree, I highly recommend this tart, but beware - don't overfill the tart  if you don't feel like cleaning up an enormous mess, as there is way more filling in the recipe than you need. 


Thanks to our hosts, Nicole and Kayte.  They will post the recipes, or alternatively, buy the book - it's a goodie, even if you are not US-based, and I definitely learned a lot from baking my way through this book.  And to see what the other TWD gals and guys thought of this week's recipes, visit the LYL section of the TWD website.

12 comments:

Kayte said...

Wow, you have an early start this week, but you will be so impressed that I am working on my tart and it's only Sunday! lol I could not find fresh figs here this time of year so I am using the grapefruit version. So happy to see your version as it makes a lovely tart. I might, just might, be on time with my hosting this week! :-)

Anonymous said...

I didn't make either of these, but yours both look delicious!

Ivy said...

Your madeleines look wonderful. I don't know what's keeping me back and not making madeleines although I bought the molds almost 2 years ago. I would love a piece of that fig tart.

Johanna GGG said...

lovely madelaines - I don't like earl grey tea but I love the smell of bergomot (which is actually from citrus I think I remember reading) - and I love honey and fig combination

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Oh yes figs are so expensive aren't they! I wish they weren't because they are one of my favourite fruit-eaten fresh or in a tart like this!

Anonymous said...

Both treats look tasty! I'll be buying figs soon and already am hesitant about the price!

Gloria Baker said...

Love these Cake law:)

Spike said...

beautiful! Glad to hear the earl grey wasn't too strong in the mads- I was skeptical of that

margot said...

Both treats look great! Have you made every recipe? I like that you could taste the tea in the madeleines, but it was not too strong.

Nicole said...

I really liked these madeleines; I think these turned out better than other madeleines I have made. The tart I made with pears and it was divine!

Nichicakes said...

Earl Grey soapy? Never thought of it that way, glad you tried them anyways and that they were tasty! Thanks for baking along.

Elaine said...

Now that I have made madeleines I would love to make these. I have never baked with tea, but I have been wanting to make Martha Stewart's Earl Grey cookies for the longest time.