Tuesday, July 27, 2010

TWD - Chewy, Chunky Blondies


Don't you love it when you are surprised in a good way by a recipe? One of the best things about Tuesdays with Dorie is that I make all kinds of things that I would never in a million years choose to make for myself, for all kinds of reasons - I think I won't like it, the ingredients are expensive, the calorific content seems OTT, and "Dorie-can-you-really-be-serious ?" etc. But then I make these things, and I more often than not, I love them - I find new flavours that I like, find that the expense of the ingredients is well worth it, and hang the calories - and besides, I always share!

So it was this week. Our host, Nicole of
Cookies on Friday, chose Dorie's chewy, chunky blondies. These sound delicious, but the picture in the book didn't appeal to me. As a guy at work said to me when he first saw them, they looked like health food. When I went to make them, my oh my, I learned that these weren't health food, but I entered the "Dorie-can-you-really-be-serious?" phase, as they contain 1 cup each of coconut, chocolate bits and walnuts - how could those ever be incorporated into the mixture? But you know what - these work, and they are delicious! This is the case even when, like me, you only have a 9" round springform in which to bake them, and they take an hour and a half to bake because they are extra chunky.

I had two of these blondies, and unleashed the rest at work - and they were a massive hit! (Although in Australia, a "blondie" is a blonde-headed person, not a slice, so people looked at me strangely when I told them what they were.)

You can check out the recipe in Dorie's book, or visit Nicole's site. And if you want to linger some more over these delightful little beauties, visit the
TWD blogroll.

14 comments:

Jules Someone said...

Those look yummy! Mine had to have some extra baking time as well.

Anonymous said...

I've been surprised a lot of times with Dorie's recipes - isn't it fun? I think we would have liked these (and I'm sure my coworkers would have too), but I didn't have time to make them.

Tammy said...

I was pleasantly surprised by these as well!

Hindy said...

Good on you for only eating two! These were very hard to resist.

Leslie said...

I was also surprised to like these but they've become a favorite. Your look fantastic...how nice of you to share with your coworkers!

AmyRuth said...

You are too funny. Love the connotation "blond" thing.
So much chewy stuff in them they had to be redeemed. Anyway, glad all your taste tester loved them!
AmyRuth

PS I loved them too

Peggy said...

I tried to leave you a comment earlier and my puter would not cooperate so here's trying again. Loved your brownies/blondies! Mine had to cook a bit longer than it said as well. But they were oh so good!

Chats the Comfy Cook said...

You are so right. These are beauties, beauties that taste so good.

Bella Baker said...

So glad you were pleasantly surprised by these!! These are my absolute favorite! They are just amazing!!

Jennifer said...

These were just FABULOUS! Yours look great!

Kayte said...

Guys here made fast work of these, they loved them! Yours look great, and I am with you on this group, I make all kinds of things I would never have made without it. Love the plate you have these on, how pretty and fun is that plate!!

Jeannette said...

yum!! these look very chunky and fab!! great job!

Nicole said...

They sure don't taste like health food. What a silly coworker! Thanks for baking with me this week!

Johanna GGG said...

oh I have made these and they were amazing - I think it was the first blondie recipe I saw that I was really attracted to - I know what you mean about the calories but they are so worth it with these bars