Friday, February 26, 2016

Doughnut Time, Degraves Street, Melbourne


On the way home from work on Wednesday, my path was blocked by a huge line of people in Degraves Street.  I had no idea what they were there for, and assumed it was to buy concert tickets or get an autograph.  However, when I switched on the news that evening, I learned that they were there to get a free doughnut from Doughnut Time, which had just opened in Degraves Street.

Doughnut Time is literally a hole in the wall that sells doughnuts.  Their website states that they produce small batch, hand dipped doughnuts.  From that description, as you might expect, the doughnuts are not cheap - they are $6 each.  However, they are tasty and a little different to your standard cafe offering.  Here's a peek inside their doughnut cases:




I could not resist the Veruca Salt (salted caramel- filled doughnut dusted with cinnamon sugar). Because I wanted to try a few doughnuts in one go, I also bought a Freddo Mercury because of its cool name and crazy appearance (blue vanilla and milk and dark chocolate glazes with Freddo faces), and the Flinders Treat (a limited edition coffee doughnut with a coffee-glaze, cream-cheese frosting and sprinkled with chunks of Espresso Martini Tim Tams and coffee beans, to celebrate the opening of the Degraves Street store):



These doughnuts are huge, and there was no way I could eat three doughnuts, so I shared them with three friends.  Here's a peek inside:



Without a doubt, the Veruca Salt was my favourite (and was always going to be), but the Flinders Treat was also a nice surprise with its coffee overtones taking the edge off the sweetness.  I can see the Freddo Mercury appealing to children with its bright colours and very sweet taste.

Doughnut Time originated in Brisbane, and by all accounts, is sure to do a roaring trade here in Melbourne.


Doughnut Time
5 Degraves Street, Melbourne

Hours: 
Mon to Fri 7.30am–11pm
Sat & Sun 8am–11pm

3 comments:

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Is this the chain that is also in some clothing stores? Or am I thinking of another one? So many donuts, so little time! :D

Cakelaw said...

Hi Lorraine, yes, apparently they had one in Top Shop in Prahran.

Kayte said...

Wow, those doughnuts at Doughnut Time really looked crazy wild and wonderful. It was fun to see them, and their insides, too! I think my fav would be the one that was your fav, too. It looks decadent and delicious, everything a doughnut should be!