Monday, February 15, 2016

Din Tai Fung, Emporium, Melbourne


On Friday, my friends Kamilla and Irina and I went to lunch at Din Tai Fung, in Emporium, Melbourne.  I was keen to try the Melbourne branch, having heard great things about this place and having visited the Sydney World Square branch many years ago. 

The interior of Din Tai Fung is bright and airy, although a little cosy.  The restaurant was buzzing when we arrived for lunch at around 12.15 for Friday lunch.


Instead of ordering food to share, we decided to order our own dishes.  I couldn't resist ordering the gem dumplings, in a rainbow of colours ($15.80):


Emerald is salad green, topaz is golden corn, pink diamond is seafood, ruby is bolognese, citrine is cheese, onyx is BBQ pork and sapphire is garlic pork.  All of them were good, but my favourite was the BBQ pork.  The only thing is that they didn't fill me up - although there were seven pieces, they were small.

Irina ordered the pork dumplings (6 pieces) (~$10):


Luckily we were still hungry because we had ordered dessert.  I could not resist ordering the monkey bun ($4.80), which was filled with a chocolate banana custard:


These are a limited special for Chinese New Year.

Kamilla and Irina ordered the mango pudding, which is apparently Din Tai Fung's signature dessert:


The only feedback I have on this is that they were both disappointed at its small size.
I enjoyed the food at Din Tai Fung, but the unanimous view of our party was that it was expensive in relation to the portion size. 
Level 4, Emporium, 287 Lonsdale St
Melbourne VIC 3000

Phone: (03) 9654 1876

5 comments:

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Hehe very cute! I love sharing though but those rainbow dumplings are hard to share because they're all different flavours.

Johanna GGG said...

oh those dumplings are cute - I was really hoping they all would be vego but at least some sound like they might be - and the monkey is cute too

Beth said...

Sounds like a fun meal! The pork dumplings look amazing.

TeaLady said...

Love those colorful dumplings. All those different flavors. I would be in heaven.

Kayte said...

Oh those rainbow colored dumplings are so pretty, I have never seen anything like that before, always just plain old dumpling color, this would be such fun. And the colors do match the food most of the time, so that's fun. That Monkey is so cute. What a fun place!