Wednesday, February 4, 2015

WWDH - Slow Cooked Beef Ragu


This week for Wednesday with Donna Hay, Sarah chose Donna's Slow Cooked Beef Ragu.  It is supposed to be summer here, but in Melbourne, it is cold and wet and grey, so this was the perfect dish to make.

I couldn't get beef brisket, so I used oyster blade steak instead.  It was perfect, in my view, and shredded nicely.  Instead of serving my ragu with polenta, I served it on a bed of cauliflower rice.  Cauliflower rice smells peculiar, but it is the perfect flavour-neutral, non-carb accompaniment to soak up any delicious sauce.

To see what the other WWDH group members thought of this dish, visit the LYL section of the WWDH website.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh this looks divine. Comfort food at its best

Please don't forget to take my Readers Survey

Chaya said...

While your beef looks delicious, it is the cauliflower rice that I want the most. You and Sarah are inspiring me with your vegetable rice,

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

That looks divine! It definitely has turned a little chilly here too. I hope that it becomes warm again but not before I have something delicious like this :D

Sarah said...

Wonderful idea to serve it with cauli rice. I wish I had done so myself; haha! I find that even our air conditioning makes me want to eat warming, comforting food.

Kayte said...

Had not a clue what oyster blade steak was so I googled it and find out that it is what we call flat iron steak here in the States. Always like to keep up on the differences we have here and there, you know. :-) Yours looks fabulous, really good. I like the idea of the cauliflower rice...I need to try that sometime. I have used cauliflower like that before in the Irish dish Colcannon and it works very nicely. I would sit down to a dish of this anytime, your picture is wonderful.

Peggy said...

I have ner heard of cauliflower rice! Your dish looks amazing! I loved making and eating this!

Anonymous said...

Bless Kayte for reading my mind! LOL! Your dish looks wonderful! Cauli rice...what a concept!!

TeaLady said...

I found a beef roast in the freezer AFTER we made this. Seems like we need to take out a bank loan to buy a brisket these days. I will make this one day - and prolly with the cauli rice which I haven't made in ages. Looking good, Gaye.