Thursday, February 5, 2015

EwE - Penne with Grape Tomatoes, Spinach, and Toasted Garlic



For Eating with Ellie this week, Peggy chose Penne with Grape Tomatoes, Spinach, and Toasted Garlic from p224 of Weeknight Wonders.

I didn't have any penne, but I already had some small pasta shells, so that is what I used.  I also quartered the recipe so that I had the ideal meal for one.

The pasta is paired with a topping of pan roasted garlic, cherry tomatoes, spinach and parmesan.  It is really simple, but quite tasty.

I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this dish, as I am not a huge pasta person, and have always assumed that you needed a sauce to go with the pasta.  In this instance, the topping ingredients provide sufficient flavour without drowning the pasta in sauce.

To see what the other Ellie cooks thought of this week's dish, visit the LYL section of the EwE website.

9 comments:

Gingi said...

This looks so yummy! Thank you for sharing!! <3 - www.domesticgeekgirl.com

Johanna GGG said...

There a is lot of good pasta about and a lot of bad pasta too - glad you had some of the good stuff - love all the vegies!

Kayte said...

Looks so cute with those little pasta shells, the whole thing looks wonderful. We really liked this one as well, just enough of that little bit of sauce to give it a nice feel and those toasted garlic chips are my new favorite thing!

Chaya said...

I was also happy with the light coating of the tomatoes and oil rather than a heavy sauce. I am into veggie dishes so this one is surely a winner.

Peggy said...

Your shells look lovely. I did think this had a lot of flavor considering it had no sauce! Glad you liked iy.

Kari said...

I haven't had pasta shells for ages! I like the look of this :)

Sarah said...

I like it when a recipe is still simple enough to make even just for one person. (Then I don't have to resort to something trashy for dinner when I'm alone.) Great colours in this one, too, eh?

Anonymous said...

I love having dishes like this in the back of my mind...quick and complete! Your switch to shells looks wonderful!

TeaLady said...

I could eat pasta every day (interspersed with Pizza). And this one was good. Even tho' I am not a tomato fan I liked the little ones in this.