Monday, September 1, 2014

Tea Cake - Allyson Gofton's Mum's recipe



I was recently on a special diet which allowed plain cake, so I sought a plain cake recipe that enabled me to indulge in my baking habit.  I found "Mum's Tea Cake" by Allyson Gofton in her book, BakeThis recipe can also be found online here.

The recipe calls for slathering the top of the hot cake with butter and sugar - I skipped that part and ate it plain.  It was really quite nice as is, and was especially good heated and served with a scoop of icecream.

I also believe that it would be lovely with cream and fruit or berries in place of a sponge cake.  I also think that Allyson's suggestion of baking it with fruit on top would be good.

8 comments:

2paw said...

Special diets can make baking very tricky, but that's a great recipe. I like that you mix the butter and sugar with a wooden spoon: so easy. Yes, fruit on top, definitely!!!

Johanna GGG said...

sounds yummy - I love cake but can take or leave icing so a plain one sounds delicious

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Good to know that you can have plain cake and that there is one like this that is delicious too! :D

Choc Chip Uru @ Go Bake Yourself said...

Lots of fruit and a soft and fluffy cake? Heaven :D

Cheers
Choc Chip Uru

yummychunklet said...

What a tasty alternative to sponge cake!

~~louise~~ said...

Sometimes simple is the best solution to comfy eating. I wouldn't call this cake plain, Gaye, after seeing the recipe I'd call it simply perfect:)

Thank you so much for sharing...

Kari said...

This looks very English - supermarkets here seem to stock lots of plain tea cakes and I really like that they do. It makes cake at any time justified!

Kayte said...

Okay, I have never been on any kind of diet that allowed me to eat cake. I am definitely following the wrong kinds of diet advice, lol lol! Plain cake looks good, plainly said!