Thursday, February 13, 2014

Adriano Zumbo Patissier, South Yarra


My former Pilates instructor, Emilia, is back intermittently from maternity leave.  Being a genius, she suggested that we have a Zumbo cake party at one of our classes with treats from the newish Adriano Zumbo store in South Yarra.  I decided to seize the day on Monday, and even though Emilia was not in, I went for a Zumbo splurge for our Pilates class, and asked Loz, our instructor, to save a couple of pieces for Emilia.

I was pleased when I visited the store after 5.30pm on a Monday afternoon that they hadn't sold out of everything.  In fact, there was way too much choice.  In the end, I plumped for The Annoying Orange ($9), based on its extraordinary appearance:

 
The layers of The Annoying Orange are flourless chocolate cake, orange caramel, olive sable, chocolate & clove mousse, orange & white chocolate jam. And yes, the stalk is edible (it's chocolate). Doesn't it look fabulous inside:

 
The clove layer had a real kick in the tail and takes over from the initial orange hit.

I also purchased the Apple Fields ($9) because it sounded delicious:

 
The Apple Fields comprises malt shortbread, sunflower praline crunch, honey cremeaux, sunflower chiffon cake, roasted apple jelly compote and apple mousse.  Here's a peek inside:

 
I thought that there was pop rocks in there because of the distinct crunch - perhaps it was the sunflower seeds.

Of course, we had to have a Zonut (Adriano's take on the Cronut) ($5), and that day's flavour was chocolate banana: 

 
There was loads of oozing chocolate and mashed banana inside:

 
It was actually tastier than I thought it would be - not at all greasy and heavy.

For later, I purchased two Zumbarons ($2.50 each) - a fingerbun and a pandan sticky rice:

 
They look so good, I can't wait to try them.


There is nowhere to sit in the store, which is just a narrow hole in the wall; however, outside, there are two marshmallow goo chairs around a table on which to enjoy your treat, if you so desire.  The marshmallow stuff is rubbery in consistency - I had to know.

My trip to Zumbo was a romp through fairyland, as it always is, and it was fun to share the treats with my Pilates class.


Adriano Zumbo Patissier
14 Claremont St
South Yarra VIC 3141

3 comments:

Mardi (eat. live. travel. write.) said...

Your Pilates class sounds like mine - at Christmas we had champilates ;)

Thanks for the tour of Zumbo - I really enjoyed checking one of the Sydney ones out when I was home at Christmas!

2paw said...

Oh, thank you for the look inside the wonderful creations!!! They are so beautiful.

Johanna GGG said...

sounds like a great pilates class - the zumbo creations sound amazing - maybe one day I will get there - at least south yarra is closer than sydney :-)