Tuesday, April 19, 2011

TWD - A Tourtely Apple Tart


It definitely feels like Tuesday again, and for this week's Tuesday with Dorie, Jeanette of The Whimsical Cupcake chose A Tourteley Apple Tart. I am not sure what the grand title means, but I can tell you that this is a fantastic tart, albeit a little time consuming to make.

The double crust was supposed to be Dorie's sweet nut tart dough - somewhere along the way my mind forgot entirely about the nuts, so my tart dough is Dorie's ordinary (but absolutely super!) sweet tart dough.  I was kind of scared as the pastry lid was rolled out - I have never rolled out this dough before, and it is kind of crumbly, but a couple of hours in the fridge worked its magic, and the pastry came out hassle free.

The filling is apple, butter, raisins, almond meal, sugar and apple cider:


 It tastes pretty good - definitely worth the extra cooking time required for a normal apple filling.  Once the pre-cooked tart shell has cooled, it is filled with the apple filling, then the rolled and pre-cut pastry lid is placed on top, complete with (off centre) steam vent:



Water and a light roll with the rolling pin over the top seals the lid on.  I also brushed my top crust with egg wash to make sure that it browned up nicely in the oven.

After 45 minutes in the oven, you end up with this:
 

 

I forgot to turn down the heat half way through the baking time, so my crust is a little browner than it might otherwise be, but no matter - it still tasted good.

Here is a sneak peek inside:




Thanks to Jeanette for hosting us this week - she will have the recipe, or check out Dorie's book, Baking From My Home To Yours.  And to see how everyone else fared with the Tourtely Apple Tart, visit the LYL section of the TWD website.

13 comments:

Kayte said...

I forgot to put a little steam hole in if we were supposed to do that, but apparently it didn't matter as it worked out okay this time. Yours looks great. I didn't do nuts in the crust either, just in the filling. Is it just me or did you think it tasted like those little apple pie things one gets at McDonalds fast food? To me it sort of did...which is not a bad thing. Yours looks great!

Cakelaw said...

Hi Kayte, you're right! Hey, hey, we can make our own Maccas style apple pies with nicer crust!

Judy said...

I'm glad to see what yours looks like. Mine is cooling, and because I forgot to set the time for the second 20 minutes, I had to eye-ball it, so I wasn't sure about the appearance. I can hardly wait to try it.

Valerie Gamine said...

Your crust looks perfect to me (I love them when they're deep golden!) Rolling out the second layer made me nervous too, but Dorie always knows what she's doing. :D
Beautiful tart!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

What an unusual name. I wonder what it means. It looks really lovely and isn't it a relief when the pastry does its thing and just works!

Johanna GGG said...

Just the tart for apple season - and your pastry looks delicious (I admire you being able to roll out even difficult pastry)

Nicole said...

I think your tart looks perfect! I made small ones so I kind of guessed on the baking times but it turned out. I loved this recipe.

Gloria Baker said...

I think this is a beautiful and perfect tart!! look delicious ! gloria

Ivy said...

Love apple pies. I wish I had a piece right now.

Peggy said...

That looks delicious. Now I wish I had made this one but it did not sound good to me. See what I know.

AmyRuth said...

Nicely done! My tart really browned up a little too much on the edges. Kind of embarrassing but, oh well, these things happen sometimes. I liked this too.
AmyRuth

Cindy said...

What a yummy looking tart!

Anonymous said...

Your brown crust looks delicious! I skipped this and I'm glad, because it would have been too tempting to have in the house!