Tuesday, April 23, 2019

TWD - Palmiers


The last Tuesday with Dorie recipe for this month is Palmiers.  These treats comprise puff pastry that is rolled with sugar, folded, then coated with melted butter and more sugar, to create  layers of puff pastry that are cut into "ears" and caramelised in the oven.

Palmiers to my taste are very plain, but they are apparently adored by French children.   To me, the best use for palmiers is Dorie's suggestion to place them on top of other soft desserts to add a bit of crunch and texture.

Some of my palmiers refused to stay folded up as they baked, so that you can see that as well as ears, I have hearts and "C" shapes.  The shape really doesn't matter if you aren't trying to sell them - they all taste the same.

To see what the other Dorie bakers made this week, visit the LYL section of the TWD website.

6 comments:

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

I used to think palmiers were a bit meh but then I made up a recipe with lots of butter and sugar hehe. And then they became a favourite!

Mardi Michels said...

I like plain palmiers but also love them with jam and Nutella (not together) in them. So versatile you can even make them with pesto or tapenade or even finely grated cheese! I love the perfectly imperfect shapes you got!

Isthisakeeper said...

I love..."The shape doesn't matter if you aren't trying to sell them"...so true!! :). You did get a really nice puff!!

Zosia said...

They look deliciously crisp...a good accompaniment to a soft dessert.

Summer said...

Mine refused to stay folded up also, oh well! Yours look nicely caramelized and to my mind there is nothing that is yummier than browned/burnt sugar.

steph- whisk/spoon said...

i like the different shapes-- cookies with personality! mine did the same.