Friday, January 20, 2017

Phillippa's Raspberry Coconut Teacake


Since it appeared on Postcards, I have longed to make Phillippa's Raspberry Coconut Teacake. I own a copy of Phillippa's Home Baking, the book in which the recipe is also featured, so I can't explain why it took me almost a year to get around to making it.

This cake, as Phillippa mentions, is unusual as it does not contain any butter or eggs.  I also could not resist the fact that this cake is naturally  pink (my favourite colour for cakes!) and is chock full of raspberries.


The icing is quite unusual as it contains the juice of five raspberries.  I began to think that the raspberries I was sieving would never yield juice, but in the end, they did, to give the cake icing its glorious pink colour:


This cake is quite sweet, so it may not be to everyone's tastes, but I enjoyed it - it was definitely worth the wait to make this delightful cake.

7 comments:

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

It looks very pink and pretty! I wonder if it would be better to add less sugar?

Johanna GGG said...

Sounds very interesting - though I hate sieving fruit for the juice so if it was very sweet I might be tempted to skip the icing

Unknown said...

This is exactly the sort of cake I love :)

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

This cake combines 2 of my favorites! It looks so moist and delicious!!!

GiGi Eats Celebrities said...

THAT GLAZE is everything!!

2paw said...

That is quite an unusual cake but it looks so pretty with its pink icing!!!

Kayte said...

Oh, I need to make this one...raspberry and coconut together must mean you are in heaven surely. I love that combination. Maybe I can make a wee cake and keep it all for myself, not even tell anyone else I made it! :-) Lovely. You find the best things.