Tuesday, December 22, 2015

TWD - Stained Glass Cookies



For Tuesday with Dorie this week, I made Stained Glass Cookies, the second holiday recipe for this month that we could bake in any order.  I chose to make these second as I wanted to include them in my Christmas boxes.

I benefitted from the posts of other bakers who made these last time.  I followed Mardi's advice and did not glaze these cookies with egg wash, leaving a white-ish cookie with "stained glass" inside.  My "stained glass" was made by bashing up Coles lollipops with a hammer.  I liked the lollipops because they come in little individual wrappers, which kept the crushed lollies inside until I was ready to release them.

These cookies turned out well from my perspective.  The only thing that was a drawback for me was that they were quite fragile, so I broke a few lifting them off the trays.  I did like the taste though, and the "stained glass windows" made them super cute for Christmas.

To see what the other Dorie bakers made this week, visit the LYL section of the TWD website

15 comments:

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

They're very pretty! I love the stained glass effect too although I end up with a big bag of lollies afterwards and I don't really eat them!

Kari said...

You're making some wonderful things for Christmas. These look beautiful - like little works of art.

Cakelaw said...

Sadly I do like the lollies and I bought 2 bags when I only needed one - so more to eat!

Nicole said...

Nice job! Happy Holidays!

Anonymous said...

These turned out great! Good idea with leaving off the egg wash…not necessary and it looks better without it!

Peggy the Baker said...

Your cookies look great! Leaving the egg wash off was a good idea--Merry Christmas!

Summer said...

Yor cookies look brilliant and gorgeous. The star shape is quite a feat given the delicate dough. I made simple rounds but still had difficulty handling the dough. You make this dough look tame and pliable. Nicely done!

Diane Zwang said...

I think your friends/family are going to enjoy their Christmas packages. I really liked these too. Clever idea about using lolly pops. Merry Christmas.

Nana said...

So pretty, I like the stars. Have a Merry Christmas.

Mardi Michels said...

I would actually roll them much thicker next time (and I still wouldn't glaze them!). You did a nice job and I love the sound of the lollipops and the hammer (so would my boys'cooking clubs!!). Merry Christmas!

tricia s. said...

Oh yours are simply lovely !! I am chuckling but impressed at the hammer decision. I have yet to make these but have a bag of "Jolly Rancher" candies sitting on the counter that are put aside for this recipe. And I am leaning toward testing the Cuisinart motor on this one lol :) Merry Christmas ~

steph- whisk/spoon said...

They are super cute! Merry Christmas!

Zosia said...

They look beautifully festive. I love the mini star cutout in the centre - so cute. Hope you had a lovely Christmas. Happy new Year!

2paw said...

Oh, you made little Stars in the centre. So very cute and thank you for the lollipop idea, that's great. I have never glazed my stained glass window biscuits. They make great windows in Gingerbread houses.

Approaching Food said...

Wow, you made so many cookies; that must have been quite the job! And great idea to use lollipops!