Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Holiday Baking - Cherry Chocolate Beer Cake

 

Our Eating with Ellie group is having a holiday baking day today.

My contribution is Cherry Chocolate Beer Cake.  The recipe was in a newsletter I received from Castle Glen Winery; however, when I tried to find a fix to the mistake in the glaze recipe, I found that the origin of the recipe is actually here.  The same mistake is also in the glaze recipe on that website.  To fix it, you also need to add a tablespoon of cornstarch (cornflour) to the glaze when you are heating it to thicken it up.


Castle Glen proposed this cake as an alternative Christmas cake, so I decided it would be a good addition to our holiday baking round up.  It looks and tastes very festive.  The stout gives a very distinctive flavour to the cake, and it is easy to make - the hardest part was pitting all of the cherries.  I only made a half recipe as I only have one 25cm cake tin.

When I was out and about this last week, I found another festive item - Frosty the Snowman, all lit up in someone's front yard.  It is very cute!


Happy holiday baking!

4 comments:

Peggy said...

Oh my that looks and sounds so delicious! I will have to try this one. I love anything chocolate and having cherries with it is an added treat. Thank you for posting today. I think it was just you and me! Happy holidays!

Andrea_TheKitchenLioness said...

Dera Gaye, a wonderful recipe - nice combination of flavors here with cherries, chocolate and stout - it is funny, I was just watching a food show and the lady was serving "Dark Ale Cake" for dessert!

Johanna GGG said...

a 25cm cake tin is a huge one in my kitchen so the original must be massive - sounds delicious

The Caked Crusader said...

I would never drink a beer but I love it in a chocolate cake - this looks great