Friday, September 25, 2015

Raspberry Coconut Slice for Homemades - Retro Bakes


Last Sunday, I attended my first meeting of the Homemades Meetup Group.  This group meets to eat and discuss baked goods, sweet or savoury.  Sounds pretty good, huh?

The theme for this meeting, hosted by Steph, was Retro Bakes - make something that reminds you of your childhood/youth/past in some way.  A group of 27 bakers answered the call - here is just some of the enormous spread that we ended up with:


Believe it or not, we did have some savoury dishes in there - a quiche slice, a meatloaf and a curry.  The rest was the ultimate sweet heaven.  Here is the group shot out on Steph's fabulous balcony with a city view:

Photo: S Clarke

My offering for this meeting was Raspberry Coconut Slice.  This was a regular in our lunch boxes when I was growing up, so was a natural choice for me to make.  I have no idea where Mum got the recipe from, and I have scrawled it on a piece of telephone pad that lives in a shoe box on top of a bookshelf.  The recipe is easy peasy to make, and tastes very good.

To make my Mum's raspberry coconut slice, you will need:

Base

60g butter
1/4 cup sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
pinch of salt
1 1/4 cup self raising flour

Topping

1/2 cup raspberry jam
1 cup coconut
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg

 Preheat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius.  Grease a 18cm x 28cm slice tin.

Beat the butter and sugar in a stand mixer until light and creamy.  Add the egg and the vanilla to the mixture and beat well.  Sift the flour and salt into the mixture and combine with a spoon until you get a stiff paste.  Press the mixture into the base of the prepared slice tin.

Spread the base with the raspberry jam, using the back of a spoon.

In a small bowl, beat the egg with a fork.  Add the coconut and sugar and mix well with a spoon.  Carefully spread the coconut mixture evenly over the top of the jam, taking care not to press down too hard so as to avoid mixing the jam and the coconut topping.

Bake the slice in the preheated oven for around 20-25 minutes or until the topping is golden brown.

Remove the slice from the oven and allow to cool completely in the tin on a wire rack.  Once cooled completely, cut the slice into the desired sized squares.

4 comments:

Johanna GGG said...

That looks like a fun event - and I love your choice because my mum used to make that slice a lot too so it makes me a little nostalgic

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Oh wow it has been YEARS or decades since I had this slice! I should make one because I used to love this growing up. Great choice Cakelaw :D

Kari said...

This has made me very nostalgic - my Australian Gran made a slice just like this and it was a staple of my childhood. I might have to make it in her memory one day for old time's sake.

Kayte said...

Love raspberries so this will be something easy for me to try when I need a special little dessert. It will be fun making and eating it knowing you had it when you were a child and your mother made it for you...I love recipes like this. You aren't kidding about her balcony being wonderful, look how big it it and the view she must have from it...fabulous. This group looks like a great find...it will be fun to see what else you all make.