Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Coconut Grapefruit Bundt Cake


In the September edition of Taste magazine, there was a recipe for Ruby Grapefruit and Coconut Bundt Cake on p64.  I would not normally be taken by a recipe containing grapefruit, but on this occasion, I just happened to have most of a red grapefruit left over from something I had made for one of my cooking groups.  This cake seemed to be a fortuitous solution to the problem of what to do with the remaining grapefruit.

I did not make the elaborate caramel topping for this cake suggested in the magazine, and I thought it was delicious as is.



To make this cake, you will need:

1/2 cup coconut oil
1 cup coconut sugar (I used panela sugar)
1 tablespoon grated grapefruit zest
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs
2 cups spelt flour
1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup dessicated coconut
270ml light coconut milk
1/3 cup strained red grapefruit juice


Preheat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius and grease a 26cm bundt tin. 

In a stand mixer, beat together the oil, sugar, zest and vanilla until pale and creamy.  Beat in the eggs, one at a time.

Put the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and cinnamon into a bowl, and sieve half of this mixture over the oil mixture.  Add half the coconut milk and juice, and mix the ingredients together.  Repeat with the rest of the flour mixture, coconut milk and juice.

Spoon the cake batter into the prepared bundt tin and bake for 35 minutes or until cooked through.  Cool the cake in the tin for 15 minutes before unmoulding onto a wire rack to cool completely.

2 comments:

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

I don't think I've ever cooked with grapefruit. It's just not a fruit I ever really consider. Good idea to use up your grapefruit!

Kayte said...

I want this coconut grapefruit cake right now...I need to make a little version of this in a mini bundt pan...this looks so good to me and the flavors just sing. Where do you find all these wonderful cakes??? This is just beautiful.