Tuesday, May 26, 2015

TWD - Rhubarb Upside Down Brown Sugar Cake


For Tuesday with Dorie (Baking Chez Moi) this week, our recipe is Rhubarb Upside Down Brown Sugar Cake.

This cake was simple to make, amd took just over an hour, including preparation.  My baking time was more like 40 minutes than the 20 minutes stated by Dorie. I started making the cake batter while the rhubarb was stewing in its juices so that I could streamline the process (as you do when you start baking at 9pm).



The resulting cake was beautiful, light and moist with a caramel flavour from the brown sugar, and the tangy rhubarb topping worked a treat as a contrast to the sponge.  I used raspberry jam as a glaze and that worked fine too.

To see what the other TWD bakers thought of this cake, visit the LYL section of the TWD website.

13 comments:

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

That looks really good and sounds nice and straighforward. It worries me a little when cooking time vary so much with recipes though!

Anna @ shenANNAgans said...

Looks yummy, and impressive you whipped this beauty up in just over an hour. :) Love Rhubarb muchly, will have to grab some more from the farmers markets on the weekend to make this beauty. :)

Kari said...

Now I know why you are so productive in the kitchen - you start baking at the time I start thinking about bed ;) This looks like a delicious result for staying up late though!

Mardi Michels said...

MIne took 35 minutes to cook as well! Your rhubarb is lovely and red!!

Approaching Food said...

Love your cake! I think Dorie's suggestion of the jelly topping really ups the cake a notch. And yes, wasn't it easy?

Zosia said...

I loved this cake too - big return for very little effort. The raspberry jam glaze sound fantastic.

Nana said...

Your cake turned out beautiful, happy it was a success.

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

Mine needed some more time in the oven, too! I'm a fan of rhubarb desserts and this didn't disappoint! Glad you could get your hands on some rhubarb :)

2paw said...

Oh, that looks scrumptious. I love a good upside down cake and that is one. I often find it takes me longer than a recipe says. But I am just slow!!

Diane Zwang said...

Raspberry jam that sounds good. We enjoyed this cake too. I look forward to making it again.

Kayte said...

I really should make this one as I love rhubarb and yours looks so tasty!

Unknown said...

Your cake looks delicious! This one was easy and delicious, wasn't it?

Teresa said...

It looks so good! I want to make this cake again before the rhubarb is gone here. I also think the cake would work well with other fruits, too.