Saturday, May 23, 2015

Coconut Cream Cake




I hate wasting ingredients, and I find that Google is my friend when I am looking for ways to use up odds and ends of perishable ingredients.

Recently, I found myself with the best part of a can of coconut cream to use up.  Turning to trusty Google, I found this recipe for coconut cream cake by Anne Thornton.


It is quite a decadent cake, being a double decker glory, so instead of coating the whole cake in icing, as suggested by Anne, I just filled the middle of the cake and iced the top with the cream cheese frosting:


This cake is beautifully moist and very coconutty in flavour.  I would definitely make it again.

6 comments:

Kayte said...

Looks great, I used my can in a couple different ways, too. I don't like wasting it so I ended up making a chicken dish, a sauce for salmon, and a small batch of frosting for brownies...lol. That can went a long way after I made the initial recipe. :-) Your cakes are always so tempting!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

That sounds divine! I often find that I have leftover coconut milk and cream. Sometimes I add it to hot chocolate in place of milk but this would be great if I had a lot of it!

Johanna GGG said...

Me too - though I go to my delicious bookmarks and then google - always wonder why I don't go to my blog straight away - looks like a great cake - am off to check it out

Kari said...

I've never baked with coconut cream but am intrigued by the idea. Thanks for alerting me to it! I'll be keeping this in mind next time I use a tin (inevitably I don't need a whole tin).

Anna @ shenANNAgans said...

I don't think I have ever baked using coconut cream, which in hindsight is really rather strange. I freakin love the stuff. :) I've got a tin in the cupboard ready to try your recipe.

2paw said...

I adore cocnut things, but I never buy the cram, only coconut milk. Now I will have to buy coconut cream and make my own 'left overs'!!