Saturday, December 20, 2014

Hazelnut meringue cookies (Haselnussmakronen)


My friend Craig is allergic to gluten and dairy, so for his Christmas gift this year, I baked him a batch of traditional German cookies called Haselnussmakronen, or hazelnut meringue cookies.  The recipe for these cookies is online here.

I actually forgot to toast the hazelnuts, but I don't think that it mattered.  The cookies turn out quite dry and crisp, so would be good for dunking in tea or coffee.

While I prefer buttery cookies, these make a nice change and are perfect if you are gluten or dairy intolerant.

6 comments:

2paw said...

Thanks for the recipe, I need to build up a repertoire of gluten and/or dairy free things to bake. They look so festive too!!

Amy (Savory Moments) said...

These cookies look delicious! It's nice to have some gluten free options as well.

~~louise~~ said...

I've been contemplating a meringue based cookie for the holidays, Gaye. No egg yolks are a good thing for my new diet, lol...I think the toasted hazelnuts would just make the taste a bit more intense but I must say, yours looks quite festive and even appetizing. I'll be saving this!

Thanks for sharing, Gaye...

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

I don't think I've ever these but they look good for an afternoon coffee or cup of tea :D

Kayte said...

Those little Haselnussmakronen are so cute...they would look so pretty on a cookie tray, better mark this one as well. Sometimes I have trouble finding hazelnuts so that will be the biggest accomplishment!

Johanna GGG said...

interesting - these sort of biscuits usually have almond meal but I think hazelnut would be very festive