Friday, December 26, 2014

FFWD Card Exchange - Snickerdoodles



Happy Boxing Day!  I hope that you all had a wonderful Christmas day celebrating with family and friends.

Today's French Friday with Dorie is special - not only is it the last FFWD for 2014, but it is also our Card Cookie Exchange Day.  For our card exchange this year, Doristas also exchanged a cookie or cocktail recipe, which other Doristas could make.  I have really enjoyed the card exchange - below is my collection of cards so far:    


I chose to make Snickerdoodles, from a recipe supplied by
Tricia.  I chose these because I have never made Snickerdoodles before, and I loved the name.  (We do not have Snickerdoodles in Australia.)

Snickerdoodles are buttery cookies rolled in cinnamon sugar.  They are crisp on the edges but soft in the middle.  While my Snickerdoodles did not turn out textbook pretty, they smelt fabulous in the oven and they sure tasted amazing.  I ate two straight off the bat and had to put the rest away before I ate any more.  This cookie recipe is a definite keeper!

Tricia's recipe for Snickerdoodles comes from Lee Bailey's Country Desserts.  (Wow, just look at the cover for this book - I want a slice of whatever that cake is on the cover.) The recipe is as follows:

2 3/4 cups flour
2 tsp cream of tartar
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar, plus 1/4 cup sugar mixed with 1 tsp cinnamon
2 eggs


Whisk together flour, cream of tartar, soda, and salt and sift again.

In separate bowl or stand mixer, cream together butter and 1 1/2 cups sugar until light and fluffy. Add in eggs, mixing well after each addition.

Add the dry ingredients in four parts, mixing well after each addition. Cover and chill for at least an hour.  (In my case, it should have been longer - the cookies spread like wildfire in the oven.)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit/ gas mark 6. Roll dough into walnut-sized balls, and roll in cinnamon sugar mixture. Place the balls two inches apart on cookie sheet that has been greased or lined with baling paper.

Bake the cookies for 8-10 minutes until cookies are done, but still soft. Let cool for a few minutes, then transfer to cooling rack.

Makes 3 dozen.

To see what the other Doristas made, visit the LYL section of the FFWD website.

I leave you with an image of the magnificent Christmas tree in the foyer of my building at work:


This tree is so beautiful that people walk in from off the street just to see it, and take photos with their children posing in front of it.  (They also come to admire the magnificent heritage foyer itself.) 


The last word comes from this sign in the window of Gewurzhaus in the Block Arcade:




 


22 comments:

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

I hope you had a marvelous Christmas! I can't wait to see what everyone else baked---glad you enjoyed your first snickerdoodles! xo

Johanna GGG said...

I must try making snickerdoodles one day - they would go down very well here. Love all the cards - it is nice to blogging actually results in cards - I was sad the there were no card exchanged among Sylvia's school friends. And that tree in your foyer is gorgeous - I think I must have looked at in in other years

Adriana said...

Oh my, that's one tall tree! Your work building is beautiful, Gaye.

I know I will be making the snickerdoodles soon too. Those look easy and delicious. Maybe an hour in the freezer would have worked out better than an hour in the refrigerator?

KB from Prof Who Cooks said...

Beautiful tree in the foyer and snickerdoodles are AWESOME. I mean the name is great, but they taste so good as well. They were the first cookie I ever made by myself as a kid. :) Glad you liked them and happy holidays!

Nana said...

The snickerdoodles turned out lovely. I hope to try every recipe received throughout the coming year, they all looks so wonderful. Happy
New Year to you.

Betsy said...

I haven't had snickerdoodles in years. I'm glad that Tricia's recipe inspired you to try this American classic home baked treat! I hope you had a wonderful Christmas and that 2015 is filled with delicious things for you, Gaye!

Cher Rockwell said...

That tree is beautiful!
Snickerdoodles are a favorite in our house - very irresistible.
Hope you had a lovely holiday!

Arisuchan said...

wow! the tree is beautiful and the cookies look great, really! I really love how much everyone enjoyed the exchange this year!

Mardi Michels said...

The snickerdoodles look pretty darned tasty! (and do I spy my lamington card already arrived? Go Canada Post!!!). Wishing you a wonderful 2015, Gaye! XO

Cakelaw said...

Definitely Adriana - the dough was still quite soft after an hour in the fridge, but I had a tight timetable and had to go ahead.

Cakelaw said...

You too Katie.

Cakelaw said...

Happy New Year to you too Nana.

Cakelaw said...

Thanks Betsy, you too.

Cakelaw said...

Thanks Cher, hope you did too.

Cakelaw said...

Hi Mardi, yes, you do! Hope yiu have a fabulous New Year.

Kathy said...

The snickerdoodles look perfectly delicious! I know I will give them a try sometime in the new year!
That is one beautiful tree…a lovely place to work!
Wishing you all good things in the New Year, Gaye! Hoping to get a mini Dorista get together when you come to NYC, in May! Cher, Betsy and Adriana are all interested in coming!

Cakelaw said...

That would be awesome! Wishing you a Happy New Year Kathy.

Teresa said...

I'm glad the snickerdoodles were a hit for you! They're a favourite of mine and one of the first cookie recipes I ever learned to make. The Christmas tree and foyer in your building are absolutely gorgeous. Happy New Year!

Create Amazing Meals said...

Yum! I love Snickerdoodles! Looking forward to more Dorista adventures in 2015. Happy New Year!

Karen @ From Scratch said...

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! I love Snickerdoodles but haven't made them. I will have to give Tricia's recipe a try!

Gracie said...

Yum. I love snickerdoodles. I will need to make thos

Kayte said...

Fun to see all the cards you have so far from the Doristas. I did that one year and guess I dropped out of the fun at that point, shucks, now I wish I hadn't stopped! Snickerdoodles are a favorite here with all of us! That tree is gorgeous!!!