Sunday, April 28, 2013

Crowd Pleaser Chocolate Cake for Lee's Birthday


Today is Lee's birthday.  As I cannot be there for the day, I celebrated the occasion with her a few days early by making a chocolate cake for her birthday.  This sour cream chocolate cake is the Australian Women's Weekly Crowd Pleaser Chocolate, and the recipe is online here.

Be warned - this makes one massive cake, so when it talks about a crowd, it means it.  My tip is to work with the frosting quickly, as it sets up firmly in no time and requires quite a bit of coaxing thereafter to work with.

Here is a shot of the un-frosted cake: 



and a peek inside at the crumb:


Instead of decorating Lee's cake with fresh flowers as suggested by the recipe, I made fondant decorations using silicone moulds, pink lustre dust and pearl glaze:


The tiny little pieces were a challenge to unmould without squashing them:

 
 
I think these decorations are so cute and I will definitely make them again.
 
The verdict on the cake - everyone else seemed to enjoy it, but I found the cake rather dryer than I would like.  That said, with the sour cream frosting, it was chocolatey and decadent.
 
Happy birthday Lee! 

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

beautifull work of art
i hope i'll find some silicon mould like that...

Jane said...

I love those decorations. The heels are just too cute!

Kari said...

Those decorations are amazing! I'm sure Lee loved it - your cake making skills must be getting a widespread reputation ;)

Cindy said...

What a beautiful party cake--I'm sure Lee loved it! I do love the cute hand made decorations on it. Very well done.

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Those decorations are so cute Cakelaw! She must have loved it! :D

The Caked Crusader said...

I love AWW recipes - they never let you down.
Great looking cake...and surely the fact that it's huge is a bonus!

Kathy said...

Beautiful cake and lovely decorations! Lucky Lee!

Anonymous said...

I like the pink dusting color!

Kayte said...

Lee's cake is lovely...everyone must feel so special when it is their birthday and you make them such a wonderful cake, you are so sweet!