Tuesday, April 12, 2011

TWD - Strawberry rhubarb double crisp


Rhubarb and strawberries seem like rather summery produce, so the timing for this week's Tuesday with Dorie pick by Sarah of Teapots and Cakestands is not quite perfect for anyone, it being early spring or autumn (depending on your hemisphere). Sarah chose Dorie's Strawberry Rhubarb Double Crisp as this week's recipe.

Luckily, here in the southern hemisphere, both rhubarb and strawberries were easily available.  This crisp features an oaty base and topping which contains both ground ginger and crystallised ginger, as well as walnuts, and is filled with cut rhubarb and a strawberry jam of sorts made with strawberries, ground ginger and sugar thickened with cornflour.

Here is my crisp:


This tasted rather good warm with icecream.  Not sure if I'll make it again yet, but it is certainly worth making.

To get the recipe, buy Dorie's book or visit Sarah's site.  And to check out what the other TWD bakers thought of this, visit the TWD website LYL section for this week.

21 comments:

steph- whisk/spoon said...

i so miss the rhubarb in australia...it's fantastic and available all year in sydney. bet it was great with ice cream!

Jules Someone said...

Love love love this one. Yours looks delicious!

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

Oh, I need to check my rhubarb plant...you've given me a huge craving!

Anonymous said...

Yum! Looks super delicious and wonderful!

xx,
Tammy

Anonymous said...

Looks delicious! And the ice cream sounds wonderful!

Cindy said...

Fun recipe, so many possibilities. My daughter spent 18 months in Australia and loved it. Have a great day.

Ivy said...

Strawberries are in season so this would be just perfect to make.

Johanna GGG said...

funny how you think rhubarb is summer fruit - I always think of it as winter fruit because it needs to be cooked - never heard of a double crisp before - sounds lovey

Mary said...

I am so jealous that strawberries and rhubarb are available to you. We loved this too.

adele said...

The mother of one of my close friends makes a pie with these flavors - it even has an oat strusel topping - and yet I never thought about turning it into a crisp. Genius!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Oooh do you know how good the words double crisp sound to a crisp addict? :P

Peggy said...

This would be really good with ice cream. Yours looks delicious. I loved the combination of the strawberries with the rhubarb.

Jessica of My Baking Heart said...

Oooh, sounds perfect with that ice cream! :) Looks great, too!

Nicole said...

I wish I would have served mine with ice cream. It was pretty sweet on its own. I loved the added ginger, too.

Flourchild said...

It looks great! I loved eating mine with ice cream!!

natalia said...

Ciao ! I love your crisp a lot and envy your wonderful weekend with goodies !

Anonymous said...

This would be so great with ice cream, but I didn't have any. And I couldn't find rhubarb! But I made it work and it was delicious.

Mary said...

Lucky you to find fresh rhubarb and strawberries! I can't wait to make this again when they finally come into season here. I didn't try ice cream with mine, so that calls for a whole other crisp. Yum.
:)

Kayte said...

Oh, I love that round shape, it's so pretty. We can get rhubarb frozen here any time of the year and it is very good frozen actually. We all love it. Yours looks so pretty...I know I said that already, but it does, I'm making a round one next time.

Elaine said...

Rhubarb is just appearing in the stores here. This would be so good to make. Great job!

Flourchild said...

This was an excellent crisp! Im glad you enjoyed it too!!