Sunday, April 10, 2011

Galaktoboureko




Galaktoboureko is a Greek sweet which translates literally to "milk pie".  It comprises a semolina custard between layers of filo pastry and soaked in a syrup.  It is known as the "king of sweets" in Greece.

Last year, my blogging friend Ivy of Kopiaste published a Cypriot cookbook called Mint, Cinnamon and Blossom Water.  One of the recipes in that book happens to be for galaktoboureko.  As I have wanted to make this dessert ever since I tried some that my friend Steve's mother had made, Ivy's recipe gave me the perfect opportunity to do so.

For the recipe, you can buy Ivy's book; there is also a similar, older version of this recipe by Ivy online here.  The recipe in the book is slightly different, as one of the cups of milk is substituted with cream, and the syrup recipe is dramatically scaled down (because you definitely won't need all of it).






One thing to note is that the recipe makes a huge quantity - you can easily halve this recipe and still make a significant quantity of galaktoboureko.
 
If custard and syrup are your bag, I highly recommend making galaktoboureko - it is truly the king of sweets.

14 comments:

Jennifer said...

That looks absolutely fabulous! Well done!!!!

Kayte said...

Oh, I am going to make this! I love this and have never seen a recipe for it. When I go to my favorite Greek restaurant I always order it and can't pronounce it so we always just say "the dessert that starts with "g" that no one can pronounce...." Thanks, this looks so great! What a deal!

adele said...

This sounds a lot like khaddaiyf, an Armenian dessert I've only eaten once, but absolutely loved.

Keeping this one in mind for the next time I cook for a crowd. :)

Gloria Baker said...

Hi Cakelaw, this dessert look delicious and tempting, x gloria

Elaine said...

You find the most interesting recipes, Cakelaw. I enjoy Greek food so much and this looks so delicious!

natalia said...

Ciao bella ! This really sounds like a desseret I would love !

Ivy said...

Glad you liked it Gaye. (lol) Coming to think of it, it is a lot, as well as all my recipes, as I cook for five, three of which are hungry men, each eating for two and it's never enough for us :)

Anonymous said...

This sounds like an interesting dessert. I've never heard of it before, though it looks familiar. (My law firm is near Greektown.) Great post!

cocoa and coconut said...

I love greek sweets - they are so delicious with that filo pastry or syrup which is so often used. I haven't come across this recipe before - thank you! I'm excited.

Johanna GGG said...

this looks like a recipe for greek mamas who feel it is quite normal to be feeding crowds - hope you got through yours ok!

The Caked Crusader said...

Greek desserts are awesome, and the most awesome of all are the ones involving custard! I'm drooling at this!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigell said...

Oh I love this! I learned how to pronounce this quickly so that I could order it :P

Flourchild said...

Yum..I have never tried this sweet treat! I love custard and I really love the name galatoboureko!!
Happy Baking!!

Judy said...

This has always been one of my favorite desserts! I should give it a try.