Saturday, December 28, 2019

Middle Brighton Baths, Middle Brighton


A few months back, I turned another year older.  To celebrate that occasion, a friend took me to lunch at Middle Brighton Baths (the upstairs part).  The recommendation came from a work colleague of my friend.  From a list of possible lunch locations, I thought that this one looked the best.

We were fortunate in  being given a table overlooking Port Phillip Bay: 


We were entertained during our meal by the bathers who ventured into the chilly water, usually only for a brief dip before retreating to the warmth of the shore.   There were also two little girls who were a constant source of amusement with their antics in the sand.

We decided to share an entrée (so that we could fit in dessert!).  Our selection was the twice cooked pork belly with apple and ginger purée, red wine jus ($22), pictured at the top of this post.  The crispy pork skin gave way to the moist, delightfully fatty belly meat underneath.  The apple and ginger puree and red wine jus enhanced the flavour to the pork.

For my main course, I selected the pan seared barramundi with cauliflower puree, sultana and walnut dressing ($40):


The skin of the barramundi was perfectly crisp, and added a salty tang to the delicate fish beneath.

My friend ordered the Atlantic salmon with braised cannellini beans, samphire and broccoli puree ($39):


It looked pretty good to me.

We shared a couple of side dishes - the Koo Wee Rup asparagus with  hazelnuts and lemon dressing ($13):


and the heritage beetroot and macadamia salad ($12):


Both sides were delicious, and featured some of my favourite vegetables.

For dessert, I could not go past the chocolate fondant with griottine cherries, candied pecans and mascarpone ($16):


I had never had a chocolate fondant before, so this was my golden opportunity.

My friend ordered the Baths Eton mess with seasonal berries and berry coulis ($16):


While my friend's dessert was beautiful, light and good to eat, I think I was winning with my fabulously rich, oozy chocolate fondant:


The service at The Middle Brighton Baths was attentive and efficient.  Despite there being a number of functions on while we were there, we never felt forgotten about.

The Middle Brighton Baths is a lovely place to dine, and I'd definitely go back. 

251 Esplanade
Brighton VIC 3186
Ph: (03) 9592 7350

8 comments:

Johanna GGG said...

Belated happy birthday - your chocolate fondant looks amazing - glad your first was memorable in the right way - and I really like the look of the side dishes and your view. Great meal to celebrate.

Sherry's Pickings said...

your chocolate fondant looks very delicious. so delightfully runny inside. what a lovely meal you had (even if not cheap). but then again, restaurants are never cheap these days. sounds like you had a great birthday lunch. cheers sherry

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Oooh another friend just went here and took some fun selfies! I didn't even know there was a Brighton in Victoria until these posts. It's funy how it seems to mirror the one in the UK.

Andrea_TheKitchenLioness said...

Dear Gaye, all the dishes you ordered look wonderful - from the entrée to the main courses, sides and, of course, the lovely desserts. And it sounds like a beautiful place to dine at, what a view... you must have had a fabulous time there with your friend!
Wishing you and yours all the very best for a Happy & Healthy New Year!
Andrea

Jeff the Chef said...

I wish someone would take me there for my birthday! The berry dessert looks especially good.

Cakelaw said...

Happy New Year to you too Andrea!

Cakelaw said...

Yes, without the pebbles. I don’t really like the pebbles at its English namesake.

Cakelaw said...

Thanks! I did.