Tuesday, December 5, 2017

TWD - Princeton Gingersnaps


Last Thursday night, I went to see Culture Club at Rod Laver Arena.  I was too young to see them live when they were in their heyday, so it was a perfect opportunity to make up for lost time.  There were also two other 80s bands - Eurogliders (of Heaven Must Be There fame) and Thompson Twins' Tom Bailey.  I could not have named one Thompson Twins' song, but  when Tom Bailey sang Hold Me Now, I recognised it instantly.

Boy George's audience engagement was above average, with plenty of audience banter.  I love the fact that he used a number of very English phrases, like "tough bird", "a right old strop" and "go mental".  I know what these phrases mean, but they are not used that much in Australia.  It was fun to see the old Culture Club film clips playing in the background, reminding us all of just how much life we have lived since the early 80s.

Today's Tuesday with Dorie recipe (Dorie's Cookies) is Princeton Gingersnaps, which reminded me of another blast from the past, Arnotts Gingernut Cookies.  These cookies have a triple ginger hit - crystallised ginger, fresh ginger and ground ginger.  They are perfect to eat on their own or dunked in a cup of tea.   

I enjoyed the fact that these cookies were crispy on the outside and soft in the middle.  They baked up perfectly round from a ball, which impressed me no end.

To see what everyone else baked this week and what they thought of it, visit the LYL section of the Tuesdays with Dorie website.

7 comments:

2paw said...

I AM old enough to remember Culture Club the first time round. MrsDrWho and I are reliving our youth every Sunday with the Countdown specials.
I loved The Thompson Twins and now I am singing Hold Me Now in my head!
Yum, ginger nut biscuits are so yummy. Different states of Australia have different recipes if you buy the Arnott’s in the shop.

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

That is very cool! I really love 80's and 90's music and would have loved that concert. And these gingersnaps too :D

Mardi (eat. live. travel. write.) said...

I was not old enough to go see Culture Club live either (but I remember there were people who skipped school to go and hear them sing in the Rundle Mall!) so I am very jealous! Loved all three of those bands! Also, these cookies? Reminded me of Ginger Nuts but so much better (mine were not chewy but I'll do that next time!).

Diane Zwang said...

I remember the Culture Club well. I was in high school in the 80s. We loved these cookies too.

steph- whisk/spoon said...

that concert sounds so fun!! and your snaps look great!

Pam said...

Those cookies are great, gingersnaps one of my fave. And so is the Culture Club, good tunes and quirky Boy George. Thompson Twins too, haven't heard of them in years. I had no idea CC is still performing. Sounds like a great time!

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

I love ginger cookies and would be willing to sample these beauties!