Sunday, July 26, 2020

African Drumsticks for Christmas in July

 

I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year.  Charles Dickens 

Yesterday was Christmas in July, and I decided to celebrate by making myself  a special dinner.

I had some chicken drumsticks in the freezer, so rather than buy something else, I decided to jazz up the drumsticks.  Looking through my cookbooks, a recipe from Nigella Kitchen for African Drumsticks caught my eye.  With a marinade of Worcestershire sauce, tomato sauce, mustard, ginger, apricot jam and onion, the flavours sang from the page. The marinade has a delightful sticky zing to it, sure to put the fire in anyone's belly.

Here's my dinner, ready to go, with African drumsticks, roast potatoes, roast pumpkin, beans a la Sunday and honey carrots - oooh, and  cheeky glass of red, my first since March:


Here are the drumsticks fresh out of the oven:


and the roast vegetables:


To make Nigella's African Drumsticks, you will need:

80ml Worcestershire sauce
45ml tomato sauce
2 teaspoons mustard powder (I just used Dijon mustard)
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 tablespoon apricot jam (I used Pam's apricot an ginger jam, a souvenir of New Zealand)
1 peeled and finely chopped onion
8 chicken drumsticks
1 tablespoon olive oil  

In a wide, shallow dish, mix together all of the ingredients except for the chicken and the oil.

Use the oil to coat the base of a baking tin just big enough for the drumsticks.  Coat the chicken by dipping each drumstick into the marinade, then place into the baking tin.  Pour any leftover marinade over the chicken, and leave it to chill in the fridge for 4 hours.   

When you are ready to cook the chicken, preheat your oven to 200 degrees Celsius.  Put the chicken in the baking tin into the oven and cook for 45 minutes - 1 hour (depending on your oven), basting the drumsticks with the marinade a couple of times during the cooking process.   

Serve the drumsticks lavishly coated with any excess marinade left in the baking tin.

No Christmas celebration is complete without pudding, so I made rum balls:


seen here with a slice of Maggie Beer's Christmas pudding (shop bought) and warm custard:   


For the connoisseurs, here's a close up of the Christmas pudding and custard:


Did you celebrate Christmas in July?  If so, what did you do to celebrate? 

No comments: