Tuesday, December 12, 2017

TWD - Soft Salted-Butter Caramels


This week's Tuesdays with Dorie recipe is Soft Salted-Butter Caramels.  These caramels were easy to make and delicious.  However, "soft" is not a word that I would use to describe my version of them.  They ended up being a firm caramel, kind of like the centre of a Fantale.  They were in fact so hard that when they fell on the floor (oh yes, I had fun cutting these), they shattered in half. 




Dorie said that she rolled her caramels into logs.  This was not a possibility with my caramels.  However, despite their firmness, they still had some degree of flexibility - enough that they bent if left over the edge of the cutting board for too long, and could be straightened out.

I was pleased with these caramels and would make them again if I felt inclined to make sweets.

To see what everyone else thought of their Dorie recipe this week, visit the LYL section of the TWD website.  

6 comments:

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

I really want to make caramels one year. I might make these as they sound like the perfect edible christmas gift! :D

Mardi (eat. live. travel. write.) said...

Ok, I'm glad it was not just me who found these hard! They WERE totally like the insides of Fantales! And yes, SO hard to cut!! But, oh, so good!

Anonymous said...

I had the exact same problem!! Super hard...and very hard to cut haha! Glad I was not the only one to have them turn out this way! They did soften once you ate them though...good flavor!

Zosia said...

Interesting...mine were quite soft. At least they tasted good; they certainly look very good.

Diane Zwang said...

Making candy is so hard. Kudos to you for making it. I think I am going to skip this assignment. Glad that you liked them.

2paw said...

Oh, I love caramel, and if I cut off the chocolate the inside of Fantales is so yummy. They look beautiful all wrapped up.