Tuesday, October 17, 2017

TWD - Crumb-Topped Apple Bars


When I was in Grade 5 at school, we started doing lecturettes for assessment in class.  Sometimes, our teacher (whose name really was Wally) would select a theme and hand us each a random topic in keeping with that theme.  For example, when the theme was famous people in history, I drew Houdini and inexplicably swapped him with a classmate for the far less exotic George Stephenson.  Other times, we could choose our own topic.  I was most impressed by a lecturette given by a boy named David, who chose to deliver a lecturette on the Australian apple industry.  He stood there calmly peeling an apple the whole time, and managed to peel it without breaking the chain.  Some might find that distracting, but I thought it was the cleverest device ever, and I wanted to emulate it (but never did get the chance).

David's lecturette on apples came to mind while I was peeling apples for this week's Tuesdays with Dorie recipe, Crumb-Topped Apple Bars (or in the Australian vernacular, apple crumble slice).


This slice comprised a biscuit base, made easily in the food processor, topped with chopped Granny Smith apples, sultanas and chopped walnuts.  The sultanas and nuts were optional, but being a streudel loving girl, there is no way that I was going to leave them out.  The bars are then topped with a shortbread crumb made from the same dough as the base, and baked until golden brown. 

These bars are not 15 minute wonders - the baking time alone was over an hour.  However, the end result is well worth it for these buttery, fruity, scrumptious bars.  For me, we were back onto a winner this week.

To see what the other Dorie bakers made and what they thought of it, visit the LYL section of the TWD website.

9 comments:

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Hehe I literally had a dream about bars just like these a couple of weeks ago. I even put apples on my shopping list! They look great :)

Johanna GGG said...

I love trying to peel a whole apple without a break but even now I could not do it in front of an audience and talk - kudos to David! And those bars look really good

Kari said...

These bars sound like they could be made for my tastes. I wish I could pluck one through the screen.

That boy has probably gone on to be an excellent adult presenter!

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

I seem to make a different apple bar every autumn. I made some apple pie bars a couple weeks ago, but I'd still happily eat some of Dorie's!!

Diane Zwang said...

Great apple story. These were a big hit for the party I took them too. Glad they were a hit for you this week.

Mardi (eat. live. travel. write.) said...

These are my fave apple bars. So easy and so good. Love the crunch of the topping!

2paw said...

The continuous peeling is a skill t be admired. I am so glad your bake this week was super successful and it sounds so yummy. I love Crumble and strudel too. I also love it when you use the base for the Crumble, because that’s clever. And I love your plate!

Summer said...

The bars look and sound delicious. I loved reading your charming reminiscence of the apple lecturette!

steph- whisk/spoon said...

I had to look up George Stephenson....that's hilarious! I bet David would be flattered that you remember his lecture and his apple peeling skills. Your apple crumble slice looks great. I liked this one a lot, too.