Sunday, February 15, 2015

Nash Gallery and Cafe and Esk Bakery and Cafe, Esk, Queensland





 


On the Australia day weekend, we took advantage of the glorious summer weather and went for a drive in the country.  Our destination was Esk, a small country town with a thriving antiques and cafe scene.

My mother had previously visited the Nash Gallery and Cafe a number of times with her friends, and wanted to have my brother and I share the experience.  Nash Gallery and Cafe is situated in historic Lars Anderson House.  Lars Anderson was a sawmiller and builder in the region in the late 1800s, who is known for building tramways to transport timber from the forests to his mills.  My family are not gallery types buy they are eating types, so we happily sat down for lunch on the shady verandah at the cafe section of the gallery. 
 
 
 
 
 The cafe menu is quite extensive, and there are a variety of desserts in the cake cabinets at the counter.  You order at the counter, but your order is then delivered to the table.  There is a choice of indoor or outdoor seating.
 
I oredered the Spiced Cajun Chicken with a garden salad and chunky chips ($18.95):

 

This meal wasn't anything fancy, but it tasted nice and I happily cleaned my plate.
 
The service was friendly, and if the aim of your visit is the destination, not the culinary experience, the Nash Gallery  and Cafe is a great place to grab a spot of lunch.
 
 
Before leaving Esk, we stopped off at the Esk Bakery and Cafe for some take-home baked goodies:


I chose the citrus tart for Mum, the lime and coconut tart for me and the pavlova for my brother:


The lime and coconut tart was really good, but I would have been happy to have a smidge more tang.

During a service station stop on the way home, we all bought icecreams.  I bought an Australia Day edition Green and Gold Golden Gaytime:   


Instead of plain white vanilla icecream, the inside of the Gaytime was green and gold:



Needless to say, it was delish!
 
Overall, our Esk trip was a pleasant  way to pass the time on the Australia Day long weekend.


Nash Gallery and Cafe
212 Ipswich St
Esk QLD 4312
Ph: 07 5424 2424
 
Esk Bakery and Cafe
156 Ipswich Street
Esk QLD 4312
Ph: 07 5424 1652

4 comments:

Kayte said...

Always such fun to read about your travels and see all the wonderful photos you post of things and food and treats and fun..I just love these posts! I would take a bite of each one of those baked goods with the citrus!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Sounds like a fun little road trip! I haven't had a Golden Gaytime in years but they are delicious from memory! :D

Choc Chip Uru @ Go Bake Yourself said...

OMG the Australia Day gaytime! I wish I had gotten to try it :P
Lovely place to visit!

Cheers
Choc Chip Uru

Kari said...

What a classically Australian trip :) The bakery looks just like a traditional country bakery should and that Gaytime made me smile!