Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Raspberry yoghurt muffins


This week, I have the baking bug, so I am on a mission to bake things from ingredients that I already have.  Living in my refrigerator, I had a big pot of natural yoghurt nearing its expiry date, so the natural choice was to make a yoghurt cake.

After a quick flick through my cookbooks, I found a recipe for Berry and yoghurt muffins on p378 of the Australian Womens Weekly Bake cookbook.   Bingo!  I had a box of frozen raspberries for the berry component, and together with the fact that it was a quick and easy  recipe to make, I knew I had found what I wanted.

These muffins were rather tasty - because they contain rolled oats, they some texture , and the raspberries added some tang.

To make these raspberry yoghurt muffins, you will need:

1 1/2 cups (225g) self raising flour
1/3 cup (30g) rolled oats
3 eggs
3/4 cup (165g) firmly packed brown sugar
3/4 cup (200g) plain yoghurt
1/3 cup (80ml) vegetable oil
180g fresh or  frozen berries

 Preheat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius.  Line a 12 hole muffin tin with muffin cases.

Sift the flour into a bowl, then add the oats, eggs, sugar, yoghurt and oil, and stir to combine.  Fold the berries in gently.

Spoon the batter into the muffin cases (I like to use an icecream scoop), then bake the muffins for approximately 25 minutes.  Remove the muffins from the oven and allow them to stand for 5 minutes in the pan before unmoulding onto a wire rack to cool completely. 

Enjoy!

11 comments:

Elaine said...

They have rolled oats, yogurt, and raspberries...looks and sounds like a great breakfast muffin to me!

Johanna GGG said...

nice to see your take on raspberry and yoghurt in a cake after I made one last week - such a good combination isn't it - enjoy the baking bug

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Nice idea using all of those breakfast items in them! :)

The Blonde Duck said...

Delicious and healthy!

Finla said...

Love love them. Looks perfect too.

Lauren Hairston said...

Sounds delicious! I use an ice cream scoop when I have to divide out batters, as well. It always works perfectly.

I haven't made muffins in such a long time! They're always so cheery (and a nice change from toast, no matter how much I love it!).

Rachel said...

yum this looks like a great breakfast!

Anonymous said...

Love the look of these muffins, especially since they use self-rising flour!

Hotly Spiced said...

I cook raspberry muffins but use sour cream instead of yoghurt. This could be a healthier option and your look great.

Ivy said...

Oh, I miss baking so much!! These look delicious :)

Anonymous said...

I love yogurt and oats in baked goods!