Tuesday, December 21, 2010

TWD - Cardamom Crumb Cake


This week, my blogging pal Jill of Jill's Blog finally gets her turn to pick a recipe for us to make for Tuesdays with Dorie. She chose Dorie's Cardamom Crumb Cake.

This cake is not just flavoured with cardamom - it is also flavoured with coffee. The interior of the cake is moist and soft, while the top of the cake is coated with a crunchy streusel topping. It is a very forgiving recipe, as in a fit of Christmas season guilt, I used Nuttelex instead of butter - and it still tasted good. As an added bonus, this cake is also a cinch to make, and you mix it by hand - no stand mixer required. (Which means less washing up!)



I think this cake tasted best after a couple of days, as it became moister and the flavours developed. It is not particularly sweet, so it is a very adult treat for having with a nice cup of afternoon coffee.

Thanks to Jill for hosting us this week - she will have the recipe. And you can see other interpretations of this recipe by visiting the TWD blogroll.

17 comments:

Judy said...

This was such an unassuming cake, but it gets better each day (that it lasts, of course!). Pretty cake.

Anonymous said...

Looks great! Since I recently purchased a bag of ground cardamom, I'm excited to try this recipe! However, what is Nuttelex? Is it similar to Smart Balance?

Cakelaw said...

Thanks Judy

YC, Nuttelex is a non dairy spread - hence lower fat.

Gloria Baker said...

Look yummy Cakelaw, all yours cakes look yummy! x gloria

Anonymous said...

Yay! Thank you for baking with me this week! Your cake looks lovely, especially with the bit of whipped cream on the plate. I'm glad it was good lightened up too.

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Streusel is my downfall... it's all that sugar and butter-yum! :D

Emily said...

Sounds like my kind of cake! You've been doing TWD for years now, haven't you? That's amazing!

Welcome to our crazy blessed life said...

What is Nuttelex? Your cake looks delicious! Glad this is made by hand that does make washing up much easier!

Chats the Comfy Cook said...

This is definitely one of those cakes that you could easily write off and would be missing a great deal.

You have one delicious cake there.

Jessica of My Baking Heart said...

I keep hearing that the cake was better after the first day. Unfortunately, it didn't last that long around here! :) Yours looks great!

Jessica said...

Looks delicious! You're right, this is definitely more of an "adult" treat! I normally love overly sweet things, but I think this had enough fun stuff in it (coffee, nuts) that I really enjoyed it!

Unknown said...

It definitely gets better each day! Yours looks perfect! Was a real winner in our house.

Mary said...

Glad this cake grew on you! I probably would have liked it more had I been feeling better. I am recovered now, thank you, but still haven't done any Christmas baking. Yikes! Enjoy the holidays.
:)

Jennifer said...

Your cake looks amazing! This one is truly a keeper!

I LOVE that plate!!!!

TeaLady said...

Such a good cake. BTW, what is Nuttelex.

CAke looks perfect.

margot said...

Your cake looks divine. This cake has so much flavor, you wouldn't really miss the butter.

Cakelaw said...

Howdy all, Nuttekex is a dairy free spread:

http://www.nuttelex.com.au/