Sunday, March 1, 2009

Russian Rendezvous - Russian Tea Cookies


Joan of Foodalogue is continuing to lead us on a culinary tour of the world to promote BloggerAid, and this week, we are visiting Russia.

I wanted to avoid anything to do with borsch and potatoes, so I have gone for sweets instead. I found a recipe for Russian Tea Biscuits on All Recipes.com - I am hoping it is an authentic recipe and not just called that because the dough contains vodka.

These biscuits are delicious shortbread biscuits contaning hazelnut meal and vodka, and are very easy to make. They also hold their shape well in the oven, so they turn out just perfect.

I am displaying my biscuits on my "new" Malingware tea set and placemats from a retro shop I discovered in Northcote on Wednesday night before the Tim Finn concert. I love the shimmery, pearly effect of the cup and plate, which goes perfectly with the pretty blue placemats embroidered with daisies.

To check out the other foodie discoveries made in Russia, you can visit out Joan's blog on Wednesday for the roundup. The next stop is India on March 9.

10 comments:

Ivy said...

Cake your cookies sound fabulous. I am drooling only thinking of them. Your tea set is very original and beautiful.

FOODalogue said...

vodka and hazelnuts? how could you miss? this will be a lovely addition to the round-up. thanks so much for participating.

natalia said...

Ciao ! I love the idea of a world's tour !Your 'new' cups are super !! I love the cookies !

Jacque said...

Mmm, sounds yummy! I like how they kept their shape so nicely.

Anonymous said...

These cookies look so delicious and bravo on your gorgeous china purchase too, always guaranteed to put a smile on my face :)

The Caked Crusader said...

These have been on my "to bake" list for a little while - seeing how lovely yours have turned out might see them promoted up the order!

Anonymous said...

I love your tea set, very unusual and pretty. The cookies look gorgeous too, I'm going to have to bake some I think.

♥Rosie♥ said...

Wonderful cookies Cakelaw and I must visit Joan's blog. I'm a little out of the loop at atm but a great event to promote BloggerAid!!

Apologies for not calling by sooner due to illness.

Rosie x

Cakelaw said...

Thanks Ivy - I had to have the tea set.

Hi Joan - thanks for hosting! I am enjoying this.

Thanks Natalia - these are lovely cookies and easy to make.

Hi Jacque - yes, it is surprising how little they spread.

Thanks Lorraine - and it's always fun to pick up new china.

Hi Crusader, they are good!

Thanks Goddess, you won't be sorry if you try them.

Hi Rosie, Hope you are feeling better, and thanks for dropping by.

Y said...

Vodka in a biscuit! WOohooo!