Friday, December 18, 2009

White Christmas





An easy treat that you can make for Christmas is White Christmas. It's like an albino chocolate crackle without the chocolate and containing fruit. Kids like it because it is easy to make, looks pretty and is sweet. Adults with a sweet tooth like it because - well, they just do. White Christmas is not one of my favourite treats any more, but I can remember loving it as a child.


The recipe for White Christmas is usually printed on the side of the Rice Bubbles packet. However, in case you don't have access to that recipe, here is Margaret Fulton's version from Margaret Fulton's Christmas, which sounds pretty much like the original:



2 cups rice puff cereal
(eg Rice Bubbles)
1 cup dessicated coconut
1 cup dried milk powder
1 cup icing sugar
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup currants (I substituted sultanas)
1/2 cup halved glace cherries
250g vegetable shortening (eg Copha)


Line a 18 x 28cm slice pan with baking paper.



In a large bowl, mix together all of the ingredients except the Copha.



Melt the vegetable shortening in a saucepan over low heat, then pour onto the other ingredients and stir well to combine. Spread the mixture evenly in the slice pan, and press down the top with a spoon. Refrigerate the White Christmas for 2 hours until set, then cut into squares of the desired size.



If you don't like the dried fruits suggested, you can leave them out or
substitute other dried fruits. Just have fun with it!

14 comments:

Hindy said...

These sound like a delicious square. I could use a little more fruit and less chocolate right about now.

A_and_N said...

I can see why kids will love this! :)

What is your fave Christmas treat now?

Anonymous said...

Looks great! I've never actually had White Christmas before but seems like it could be a great little treat to whip up!

Ivy said...

This sounds delicious. Is the texture like cake or can you cut this into bars?

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

That sounds soooooo delicious. Definitely saving the recipe for my bakefest on Sunday. Thanks!

Brenda said...

Oooo yummy! So easy and simple...BONUS!

Finla said...

Wow it is indeed a easy treat for christmas time.

Anonymous said...

It looks pretty with all the colored fruits sprinkled throughout!

The Blonde Duck said...

It's like festive Rice Krispie treats!

Anonymous said...

Thank you Cakelaw for sharing this recipe. I too used to love this and have not made it for years. I shall definitely be making this tomorrow.

Y said...

You've just reminded me.. it's been so so long since I've had a piece of White Christmas! Maybe I should make some this year :)

Flourchild said...

Heres to a White Chritmas! Cheers!!

Jennifer said...

This looks sinfully delicious! And I LOVE the name of it!

Anonymous said...

Cakelaw - help! Comments for this blog are coming into my inbox. Does this happen automatically when I have a comment posted? PS new to this, obviously.