Thursday, October 8, 2009

Ruth's birthday and Bill's Big Carrot Cake



It was my friend Ruth's birthday yesterday; however, as she was on leave for the occasion, we had cake in her honour at work today.

I asked the birthday girl what kind of cake she would like, and she nominated either lemon or carrot cake. As I had been wanting to make Big Bill's Carrot Cake from Baking - From My Home to Yours by Dorie Greenpsan for a while, I thought this was the perfect opportunity. (I was not a member of TWD when they baked this cake.)

As you can see from the photo at the top of this post, this cake lives up to its name - it is indeed big! There are three layers of carrot cake smothered in cream cheese frosting (some of which is still living in my fridge at home). You can get the recipe from Slow Like Honey, who hosted the TWD challenge, or from Dorie's book.

I decorated the top of the cake with Wilton ready made pink icing, walnut pieces and (although you cannot see it) edible glitter in girly pink, which all the girls just loved!




Here is Ruth cutting her cake - it was almost like King Arthur with the Sword in the Stone:



This cake was a hit at work - although you can tell that to my waist line!

Happy birthday Ruth!!

12 comments:

Finla said...

Wow that is indeed a huge cake. Looks so so yumm.

Anita said...

Three layers of carrot cake!! Yum. I tend to make a few carrot cakes as a it's a favourite amongst our house. Yours looks great, I'm sure your work was very happy.

Jo said...

I love carrot cake. Love the triple layer and delicious looking frosting on it.

Anonymous said...

It looks wonderful! Your coworkers must love your baking hobby!

I just made this cake for the first time too, but haven't posted it yet. Thanks for the link to the recipe!

Anonymous said...

I loved this cake. Glad it was a hit!

Heather said...

yum. i love carrot cake! i'm impressed :)

Palidor said...

What a wonderful friend you are! Few things are more special than a birthday cake baked just for the recipient. I love that it is so tall and has lots of frosting.

Cakelaw said...

LOL Happy Cook - thanks.

Hi Anita, Ruth had lots of visitors come to her office for cake, so I am gathering that word of mouth was positive!

Thanks Jo. For birthdays, I love triple layer cakes because of their visiual impact.

Thanks Jill - can't wait to see yours.

Thanks Wendy.

Hi Heather, this cake was very well behaved and didn't give me the slightest problems to make - so it gets a big tick.

Thanks Palidor - that's why I like to pipe people's names on their cake, so they know it's just for them.

Karine said...

Miam carrot cake! Your friend probably loved it :)

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Hehe what a gorgeous and huge cake! It makes it seem like a bigger celebration if you have a big cake I find! :)

Jennifer said...

That cake is HUGE! Ruth looks so happy...and who wouldn't be? What a great friend you are!!!!

Brenda said...

Mammoth of a cake....awesome!!! ; )