Tuesday, March 31, 2020

Peach, Basil, Ricotta and Honey Cake



When someone said count your blessings now
For they're long gone
I guess I just didn't know how
I was all wrong
                                                   Who Knew - Pink

How are you all this Tuesday morning? Today is usually Tuesday with Dorie, but as there are five Tuesdays in March, I have a free Tuesday to post whatever I like.

I love a cake with unusual ingredients, and Jordan Rondel, a New Zealand born cake genius, publishes lots of brilliant recipes featuring different to usual flavour combinations.  Before the world as we know it changed forever, I made Jordan's Peach, Basil, Ricotta and Honey Cake and took it to share with my work colleagues.  You can find the recipe online here.


This cake has a richness from the ricotta, sweetness from the peaches and honey (which is brushed on top of the warm cake rather than being in it), and an unusual but delicious twist from the basil.  It is also a very pretty cake (though I left off the fresh basil leaves that Jordan used to decorate the top of the cake, as I am sure no-one I know would have dug that.)


You can see from the photos of the interior of the cake that it is really smooth and creamy and dense from the ricotta:


There are still lots of beautiful peaches around in Australia right now, so I highly recommend making this lovely cake before peach season is over.

1 comment:

Andrea_TheKitchenLioness said...

Dear Gaye, what a very pretty cake to make during peach season. I love, love the fact that this cake has basil (one of my favorite herbs on the planet) in it in addition to the fruit and the honey brushed over it after baking - sounds like a truly delicious cake that I would enjoy. I am going to follow your suggestions and look uo the author of this recipe, as I also enjoy baking recipes with a special 'twist'. I am sure that your colleagues loved this very pretty looking cake too!