Thursday, April 19, 2018

Pulled Pork Rolls with Fennel & Apple Slaw - Red Tractor April


It's time for this month's Red Tractor calendar recipe, which is Pulled Pork Rolls with Fennel & Apple Slaw.

Before we get started, this is April's calendar quote:


I am not sure that this always holds true, but certainly I can thank my Mum for a good solid start in life and ongoing support.

I did not use the calendar recipe for the pork; instead, I used this slow cooker recipe from Taste.com. 


I agree with the comments on the recipe that the spice content could have been upped a bit, but in the end, it was ok and fit for purpose.

Here is my assembled roll (open roll is featured at the top of the post to showcase the slaw):


Once you have your pulled pork, you will need the following to make up the rolls:

1 thinly sliced fennel bulb, retain fronds
2 tablespoons parsley leaves (I skipped it)
1 pink lady apple, skin on, quartered and thinly sliced (or any red apple)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon sugar
juice of half a lemon
2 tablespoons wholegrain mustard
1/4 cup aioli (or 1/4 cup mayo with a squirt of garlic paste mixed in) 
6 crusty bread roll, split
3-4 cups pulled pork

Toss, the fennel, fronds, parsley, apple slices, olive oil, sugar and juice together.  Season with salt and pepper and stand for 5 minutes.

Mix the aioli and mustard together and spread on the bread rolls.

Top each roll with a handful of pulled pork and slaw (and crispy pork skin if you have any - mine was chewy sadly). 

I liked the aioli and mustard spread and would do that again.  I also quite liked the slaw.  However, there seemed to be a lot of pork, so I might cheat if I made these again and use sliced pork from the deli or some alternative.

5 comments:

The Happy Whisk said...

I love fennel.

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

They look good! I love sandwiches and rolls with lots of filling. May I ask why you didn't use their recipe? Did it not sound as good?

Cakelaw said...

Hi Lorraine, they just roasted the pork in the oven without any seasoning or spices. This way, I got some seasoning and I could be lazy and use my slow cooker.

2paw said...

Your pulled pork looks very calendar worth and yummy. I love fennel too, I made fennel and apple soup a few weeks ago and it was delicious too.

Kayte said...

Pulled pork buns are a favorite at gatherings where we live...everyone has the most wonderful recipe and yet everyone keeps trying new ones...this one looks really good!