Tuesday, October 24, 2017

TWD - Babas au Rhum



This week's Tuesday with Dorie (Baking Chez Moi) recipe is Babas au Rhum.  These are little yeasted cakes that are soaked in rum syrup and filled with whipped cream.

I didn't know what rum baba was until about 10 years ago, when a work friend of mine introduced me to them at Brunettis as her favourite thing.

I made a half recipe to end up with six babas.  They were easy enough to make, but there were a lot of steps and three separate components to make (babas, syrup, filling).

In the syrup, I used Cointreau instead of oranges as I didn't have an orange, so I thought orange liqueur would be the next best thing.

These babas pleasantly surprised me - they were moist and soft and definitely rum-tasting. I have had some hard and dry store-bought babas, so these are infinitely preferable - just a lot more time consuming.

To see what everyone else made this week, visit the LYL section of the TWD website.

10 comments:

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

I wish I loved this dessert but it's often such a strong hit of rum that I get quite tipsy from dessert alone!

Pam said...

Oh la la! I'd love to have one of them, but will have to make them now after seeing this! Delicious I'm sure!

Diane Zwang said...

I just learned about babas this year. These made a nice dessert.

Mardi (eat. live. travel. write.) said...

Glad to see everyone loved them! I'm making them this weekend!

Zosia said...

Your babas look great. Cointreau sounds like a delicious addition to the syrup.

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

I grew up with a cheater version of this cake with a box mix doctored up. I bet these are a lot more impressive! Have a great weekend!!

2paw said...

They sound delicious and look very inviting! What’s not to love about a tipsy dessert?

Kari said...

I've heard of rum babas but never really known what they are. Thanks for enlightening me :-) They look tasty.

Summer said...

Your Babas look great and I bet the Cointreau made the orange flavor even stronger and boozier is better in my book. Yummy!

Summer said...

Oops! Trying to say that I’ll bet the Cointreau was delicious in this. Yum!