Tuesday, June 27, 2017

TWD - Les Whoopies


Blogging is terrific for broadening your experiences.  Until I began reading blogs, I had never heard of the US treat known as Whoopie pies, but became fascinated with them because of their pretty cool name.  The origin of Whoopie pies is disputed, but are thought to have been the creation of the Pennsylvanian  Amish community.  They are also the state pie of Maine.  A Whoopie pie comprises two cake-like cookies which are sandwiched together with a sweet filling of some kind. 


This week's Tuesday with Dorie recipe is Les Whoopies, and it is the first time that I have made Whoopie pies.  There is a cafĂ© down the road from me that sells great Whoopie pies, so I have tried them before.

I didn't bother getting a Whoopie pie pan - having known about Whoopie pies for around 10 years and never having made them before, I don't think I can justify a Whoopie pie pan.  It is not necessary to have a special pan to make them, and while it would have made  my Whoopie pies slightly more regular in shape, I was quite happy with my results without it.

These Whoopie pies are light, fluffy and chocolatey, and the peanut butter flavoured filling is a perfect match for the chocolate.  I would happily make these again.

To see what everyone else made this week and what they thought of it, visit the LYL section of the TWD website.

9 comments:

Pam said...

Oh my gosh!!!!!!! I love love whoopie pies!!! I had never heard of them until we moved to Louisville, KY when I was 11, and Mom brought home a box of whoopie pies from the grocery store. I truly thought I had died and gone to heaven. I love love love them and here in Chicago area, they're not an easy thing to find. Thankfully, my hubby does not like them but if he did, I would make this recipe every chance I got. Great recipe and I just may try it soon when he's playing golf, and then stash them. Thanks for the recipe LOTK!

2paw said...

I have tried these and to me they were a strange cake/biscuit mash up. Not that they weren't tasty, and yours look great, irregular shape or not!!!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

I think you're right about buying a whoopie pie pan. I've made them a couple of times but tbh I didn't love them overly so it was more for fun and curiosity :)

Nicole said...

Yours look great! This was the first time I had them, and thought they were pretty good, if not completely rich.

Mardi (eat. live. travel. write.) said...

I'm glad I've made these so I can cross them off my list. They were a little denser than I imagined but I quite liked them!

Zosia said...

They look wonderful. I didn't bother with the specialty pan either; I don't think anyone noticed the irregularities in mine, just the taste.

Diane Zwang said...

We love whoppie pies of all kinds. I did not know they made pans for them as I have never used one to bake them. It must be a fancy bakery thing.

Summer said...

Your whoopie pies look great. I had already bought the pan before I realized that it wasn't necessary to have one... oh well!

Kari said...

I remember discovering whoopie pies through blogging too, although for me, I've only read about them and never tried them. Well done on making your own! They look great.