Tuesday, February 21, 2017

TWD - Valentine's Day Share-a-Heart


The second cookie recipe for Dorie's Cookies this month is Valentine's Day Share-a-Heart.  The idea is to make two huge chocolate heart shaped cookies and little ones with the scrap dough, and for the two large cookies to be shared.


However, in my universe, people would not dig the concept of sharing a cookie with other people.  To avoid this potential awkwardness, I just made a half batch of smaller heart shaped cookies.  I ended up with 13 cookies.

Maybe it was the hot weather, but some of my cookies spread so much in the oven that they no longer resembled hearts.  The remainder looked a whole lot better once they had been iced and sprinkled with sanding sugar and non pariels.

I think that these cookies ended up looking very cute.  I couldn't resist posing my mini kewpie and my brand new Valentine's edition Sonny Angel with these cookies.  They are just adawbs and perfect for setting the Valentine's Day mood.  I made these cookies and took them to work on Valentine's Day - I think people may have found it a bit weird if I had brought in a batch of heart shaped cookies at any other time.

The cookies themselves were surprisingly delicious - the chocolate flavour comes from cocoa, but the cookies are quite chocolatey and are light and buttery.

To see what everyone else made this wee, visit the LYL section of the TWD website.

13 comments:

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

The kewpies are very cute. I find sometimes if there is too much butter in the dough (to flour) or they haven't been refrigerated enough they really spread!

Johanna GGG said...


they look really pretty - and I love the little kewpie with the cookie platter

Mardi (eat. live. travel. write.) said...

Wasn't the flavour of these amazing? They are going to be my "go to" chocolate cookies I think! Love your pretty decorations too (and LOL at people not digging having to share a giant cookie. Right?!)

Cakelaw said...

Lorraine, I had about 3 cookies that spread so much they were almost round.

Cakelaw said...

Thanks Johanna!

Cakelaw said...

Absolutely amazing. And aren't they unsociable not wanting to share!

Kari said...

I love that you had the sense to make individual cookies. Who wants to share cookies!?

Beth said...

Cute cookies, and a perfect Valentine's treat.

Teresa said...

I made small ones, too, and they weren't heart-shaped, except for two that I cut out free-form. I wonder about baking these in hot weather - it might be better to pop them in the oven straight from the freezer. Yours look so cute with icing and sprinkles!

Diane Zwang said...

These were good cookies.

TeaLady said...

These were such good cookies. I made 1 large 1 (now frozen) and the rest were smaller. Like the way yours look. Kute Kewpie!

2paw said...

Sadly, I have been corrupted by Cake Wrecks and just think Carrot Jockeys! Live dangerously and take heart shaped biscuits whenever you like. They do look very Valentine-y and cute!!

Kayte said...

They did end up looking very cute...you always decorate everything so nicely. I agree, who wants to share a cookie???!! lol