Sunday, January 22, 2017

Chilli and Lime Noodle Stir Fry with Chicken



Just before Christmas, I bought myself a 2017 calendar by Red Tractor Designs.  Red Tractor make gorgeous teatowels with Australiana and other designs, and this calendar is an Australiana calendar.  What I love about it is that for each month, the calendar not only features a picture and a quote, but also a little blurb about the significance of that picture to Australia, and a recipe for the month.

Here is January's image, about our rural firies working to contain bushfires:


January's recipe is for a chilli and lime noodle salad.  I adored the sound of the ingredients, but not the fact that most of them were served raw.  What I did is to take those ingredients and covert the recipe from a salad to a stir fry.  And what a delicious stir fry it was - Asian flavours abound in this healthy tasty dish.

To make it my way, you will need:

120g dried vermicelli noodles
2 bunches bok choy, thinly sliced
2 fresh long red chillis, deseeded and thinly sliced
1/2 cup torn Thai basil leaves 
2 deveined kaffir lime leaves, shredded
2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
2 tablespoons soy sauce
zest and juice of one lime
1 barbecue chicken, shredded
2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds


Soak the noodles in boiling water for 5 minutes, stir to separate the strands, drain, refresh under cold water, drain again.  Place into a bowl and snip into shorter lengths.

Heat one tablespoon olive oil in a frypan.   Warm the chicken in the oil, then add the chillis to the pan and cook for around two minutes. add the bok choy, kaffir lime leaves, Thai basil, sauces and lime zest and juice, and stir fry until cooked through.  Add to the noodles in the bowl, and stir to combine well.  Sprinkle the stir fry with sesame seeds before serving.

4 comments:

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Oh I think I've bought some of their Christmas cards. It had a recipe for Christmas cake on it IIRC!

Kayte said...

Looks like a great recipe for stir fry...I'm with you on those raw ingredients a lot of the time, I am always morphing those into stir fry goodness. Your photo is so pretty, and interesting about the calendar. I hope you make all the recipes for the whole year! :-)

sherry from sherrys pickings said...

yum sounds delicious tho I wouldn't mind trying it as a salad. I have just found those dried noodles that you re-hydrate in boiling water again recently; I used them in a laksa style dish. i had forgotten about them for years:)

2paw said...

Oh that sounds perfectly delicious. I have heard of The Red Tractor people, but didn't know they had the added bonus if recipes!!