Tuesday, May 24, 2016

TWD - Betty's Chocoholic Cake


The second recipe this month for Tuesday with Dorie is a glorious chocolate cake - Betty's Chocoholic Cake, to be exact.  The original recipe is three layers of dense chocolate cake, containing 400g chocolate, 400g butter and 6 eggs.  I halved the recipe and made two layers instead.  I made mine with a commercial gluten free flour mix so that I could share a slice with a gluten-intolerant friend.


This cake is densely rich and chocolatey - a chocolate lover would happily substitute a bar of chocolate for a slice of this cake.


I only used half of the ganache, only having half the cake.  I figured that a cake such of this did not require even more chocolate.  Accordingly, instead of decorating it with white chocolate curls, as suggested by Dorie, I decorated it with hundreds and thousands:



The hundreds and thousands give the cake a festive look but do not take away from the gorgeous dark chocolate flavour of the cake.

This cake tastes as good as it looks - discipline is involved not to keep eating it. 

To see what the other bakers made this week and what they thought of it, visit the LYL section of the TWD website.

13 comments:

Cheri Savory Spoon said...

Wow! this sounds like every chocolate lovers dream. looks delicious!

Johanna GGG said...

oh yes a large slice for me please - looks delicious

Mardi Michels said...

This one was really really good, huh? Yay 100s and 1000s!

Anonymous said...

Love the 100's and 1000's! This cake was a chocolate lovers dream! I myself am not too fond of chocolate however the rest of the family absolutely loved it!

Kathy said...

Oh man...love this beautiful cake! Mouthwateringly delicious!

Zosia said...

It looks so festive with the colourful sprinkles! It's good to know the recipe works with alternative flours

steph- whisk/spoon said...

i love 100s and 1000s! looks delicious, and so very rich.

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Ooh this looks like a goody! I'm going to save it up for a chocoholic friend! :D

Diane Zwang said...

I love the sprinkles. This was definitely a decadent cake. I hope your friends enjoyed.

Summer said...

Your cake looks dreamy and delicious!

Andrea_TheKitchenLioness said...

Gaye, this is one gorgeous chocolate cake - I have to try this recipe soon for one of our girls birthdays. It looks moist and chocolatey and utterly delicious!
Andrea

TeaLady said...

After seeing this cake I think I need to go back to TWD. I have missed all the baking. Wonder how many I can make sugar free??

2paw said...

Oh, I love your chocolate cake and the 100s and 1000s on top are perfect. Good to have a baker recommend a great cake.