Saturday, May 24, 2014

Mint chip brownies


During my trip on Route 66, it was not all about the history - I managed to indulge in some very contemporary shopping.  The lovely green plate on which the brownies pictured above are modelled came from Anthropologie in Santa Monica.  I adore Anthropologie homewares, and if I had had the space and was brave to carry more plates on the long flight home, I would have.  I also love their tea towels, but as I had already picked up some lovely tea towels earlier on my trip, I resisted the temptation.

I also got very excited at Walmart over the baking chips - the US has a much wider range of baking chips than here, so I dived in for some cinnamon chips, Heath bits and crème de menthe chips:


I was eager to try out some of my new baking chips, so I altered a recipe for chocolate chip brownies from p276 of  The New Boston Globe Cookbook (which I picked up for a song at Dymocks) to include crème de menthe chips instead of plain chocolate chips.  The crème de menthe chips added a great minty freshness to these cake-like brownies.


While I enjoyed these brownies, I learned that I am clearly in the fudgy brownie camp.  The recipe does say that these are cake-y, so no surprises there.  

If you would like to try this recipe, it has been published online here.

5 comments:

Kari said...

Oh, I love the plate - and your chip collection! I prefer fudgy browneis too but the mint chip addition sounds fantastic here.

The Caked Crusader said...

Mint choc chip has always been my favourite ice cream flavour and I love it in cakes too - please send me some of these asap!!!

Johanna GGG said...

oh I am jealous of your souvenirs - that plate is beautiful and I love the idea of the choc chips

2paw said...

Oh you are so lucky, I thought we were privileged to get caramel choc chips. I am in the fudgy camp too.

Kayte said...

Gorgeous plate...and I'm happy to see you found some baking fun as well. I want to see the tea towels, any chance you can do a photo spread on the tea towels? That would be fun to see.