Friday, April 18, 2014

Baby Bok Choy, Sugar Snaps and Garlic en Papillote


We are going crazy for spring veges this week at French Fridays with Dorie this week with Baby Bok Choy, Sugar Snaps and Garlic en Papillote.  Yes, I realise that in the Southern Hemisphere, we are coming into winter, but most of the Doristas are in the Northern Hemisphere, hence some lovely green spring vegetables are perfect for them at this time of year.

So, what's all this "en papillote" stuff about?  Well, it's just French for cooking in a bag - on this occasion, a foil bag made by folding alfoil around the vegetables before baking them in the oven.  It's quite a nifty way to cook that I learned from Jamie Oliver years ago,  back in his "lovely jubbly" days.  It keeps all the moisture in, facilitates preparation in advance, and is a "set and forget" method of cooking.

Here's a look at the veges resting in their foil cocoon after cooking:



I served my veges in a bag with tahini, cumin and buttermilk chicken from WWDH.

To see what the other Doristas thought of their veges en papillote, visit the LYL section of the FFWD website.

16 comments:

~~louise~~ said...

HI Cakelaw!
I'm beginning to wonder what hemisphere I live in, lol...It wants to be Spring but, it wants to be Winter too:)

This is a great combination of veggies enveloped in garlic goodness. Foil baking was very popular here in the 70s. It really should make a comeback because as you say, it's quick easy and efficient and works great on the grill too.

Thanks for sharing, Cakelaw:)

Kari said...

I love cooking in a bag! It's something I haven't done for a while but it always give such flavourful results. I love the green vegetables too - whatever hemisphere we're in ;)

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

So glad you enjoyed, Gaye! Nice pairing with the chicken :)

Evelyne CulturEatz said...

So used to see fish en papillote, but just veggies is a great idea.

Mardi Michels said...

Sounds good with the chicken! I always feel bad for you making the dishes that are geared towards our climate up here. You're a champ!

Unknown said...

I love cooking veggies and fish in a foil! They come out so tender and full of their natural flavours! Unfortunately I will not be able to cook with you guys for the next couple of weeks. I will be travelling but this is definitely going to be one of my catch up recipes!

Geri Saucier said...

These veggies were delicious:) I love cooking in foil packets - everything comes out delicious and there is little clean up. Have a great weekend.

Betsy said...

You are such a sport to play with us when all the food we pick are opposite of what you probably want to be eating. I'm glad you liked this. The chicken looks lovely too. I'm going to try that one soon. Sounds like a great menu.

Emily said...

Very easy peachy, healthy and delish!

Andrea_TheKitchenLioness said...

Gaye, a recipe we all seem to have enjoyed - your little package and the veggies look wonderful. I like that you added some chicken on the side - we went with little lamb chops, not bad either
Have a nice Easter weekend!

Cher Rockwell said...

Ah, Spring. It's finally hitting here, but there are definitely no spring vegetables to be found in these parts - late May/ early June will start being kinder to us on the produce front.

The chicken pairing sounds really tasty.

yummychunklet said...

Glad you liked this one. And your chicken looks delicious.

Diane Balch said...

It is good to be cooking a bit lighter with French Fridays... glad you enjoyed this veggie combo too.

Mary Hirsch said...

Wow, those flavorings had to pack a wallop. I have used tahini once or twice, in a cooking class, I think. I wish I were better at putting flavors and spice together. Your meal looks delicious (and, very healthy). Is that half a sweet potato on the upper left? You are a good sport to put up with our seasonal differences. Sometimes that isn't easy nor fun.

Cakelaw said...

Hi Mary, yep, that's a sweet potato that has been microwaved in its jacket.

Kayte said...

I don't know how you keep up with all of us in different seasons, but you always do a good job of it. I love cooking in pouches, it's such fun to open that little pouch and see it all finished. Yours looks great.