Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Lady Moustache, Yarraville



On Sunday morning, I stepped out with friends old and new for brunch at Lady Moustache in Yarraville.  It was a very hot morning, so it was a relief to step into the air conditioning, which although struggling, did the job. 

We were taken upstairs to the room pictured at the top of this post as we had a large party, including two children.  The wooden stairs were a little narrow, but anyone fit and able-bodied can easily get up there.  It was just like stepping into Nana's living room, with eclectic tables and chairs (including two black vinyl arm chairs that you can rotate 360 degrees in), eccentric art work and retro lamps. The room was child-friendly, with a range of toys, including a "lady moustache" on a stick.

Straight up, I ordered a skinny flat white from our friendly hipster waiter:


I just loved the crockery, all of which had a strong 70's vibe.  It took me back!  Even the sugar was in a 70's stoneware  pot.

For the main event, I went to the specials board, which boasted a breakfast burrito:

 
This burrito was just as good as it sounded - a soft tortilla encasing scrambled egg and tomato salsa, with black beans and guacamole on the side.  The guacamole cut through the heaviness of the eggs, and the combination was a match made in heaven.

My friend Steve is a cereal man, and ordered the toasted muesli with yoghurt and fresh fruit:

 
He liked it well enough, although he is more of a bircher muesli fan.

Craig ordered this sensational salmon omelette with asparagus:


Craig enjoyed this very much, and the little girl in our party happily munched on a piece of the fresh green asparagus.

I really enjoyed our Lady Moustache experience.  The 70's vibe, the friendly service and the food were all terrific.  When they forgot to bring up a late coffee order by one of our party, they gave him the coffee as a takeaway on the house - a nice touch.

 
Lady Moustache
84 Gamon St 
Yarraville, VIC 3013
Ph: 03 9396 1916


2 comments:

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

I love all of that retro crockery! My mum has some and I remember using it decades ago :)

Kari said...

I love the retro crockery too! I'm glad you enjoyed your burrito as well - it certainly looks impressive.