Friday, February 28, 2014

FFWD - Garbure from the Supermarket


This week's French Friday with Dorie recipe is Garbure from the Supermarket.  Huh? 

Apparently the name of this rustic, chunky soup comes from the fact that you eat it with a fork. There are no set ingredients in France, as it is meant to use up whatever you have.  This impresses me because I bought but forgot to add the beans, I couldn't buy turnip, I didn't add sausage or duck confit, and I used cayenne pepper instead of the fancy spice you were supposed to use.   As you can see from the photo, I also didn't end up with much liquid in my soup after the three hours (yes, you read that right!) of cooking time.

Despite all of that, this dish was really, really good.   It had heat, it had texture, and it had both meat and veg, making it a complete meal.  I used a ham bone to make my garbure, and the meat just fell off the bone, creating deeply satisfying, gelatinous goodness.

Because of the long cooking time, I probably won't make this again, but boy it was good to try once.  It was so delicious and satisfying - my kind of soup.

I also made Dorie's lemon curd:


This curd is great because it uses the whole egg (so there are no whites left over), and it is easy to make in a few minutes.  I made it to fill some cupcakes, but I have a pleasing amount left over to eat from the jar:



To see what the other Doristas thought of Garbure from the Supermarket, visit the LYL section of the website.  Next week, we have two toasties on the menu - oops, tartines.  Harry and Christo, eat your heart out.

20 comments:

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Soup with a fork? How interesting! I've never tried it but it sounds delicious :D

yummychunklet said...

I skipped this one, but yours looks good! And, I love Dorie's lemon curd!

Teresa said...

I'm going to do a catch up tomorrow, but am looking forward to making the garbure when I have a meat-eating audience. It's good to know that it's good even without all the ingredients. I also made a batch of Dorie's lemon curd (using Meyer lemons). It's wonderful!

Emily said...

How interesting that we both made the lemon curd which was delish! and eating the soup with a fork? probably if I had boiled it for 3 hours!

Kari said...

Soup with a fork really appeals to me, even if it is a bit unusual! I also love any dish that lets you mix and match ingredients to suit.

Mardi Michels said...

Possibly a little too warm down under to enjoy this properly!

Emily said...

Great that we both made the lemon curd! Soup on a fork? good one! and I remember putting in a dash of paprika!

Kathy said...

Your lemon curd looks delectable…I have to make that one! Glad you enjoyed the Garbure…it was a big hit in my house…loved it! Have a lovely weekend!

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

I bet it was marvelous with the ham bone! And your curd looks fabulous!

Betsy said...

This was VERY thick. Mine was quite meaty. I liked it too. Emily made lemon curd too. This is one of my favorite recipes. It's so delicious. Maybe I'll make lemon curd this weekend too. Yum!

Mary Hirsch said...

Can I talk about your lemon curd? It looks so delicious and I would like to be there with a spoon helping you finish up the leftover curd. When my garbure got a little thick, I just added more chicken broth/stock. It didn't take away from the delicious flavor and still maintained its soupy quality. Glad you enjoyed it anyway.

Choc Chip Uru @ Go Bake Yourself said...

Forked soup? That sounds awesome :D

Cheers
Choc Chip Uru

Cher Rockwell said...

I love that lemon curd recipe - on more than one occasion I may or may not have eaten it directly from the jar with a spoon :-)
I like how thick your soup ended up (especially with all those large pieces of meat)

Gracie ~ Food Fascination said...

Yes, this soup is definitely a fork soup! I am glad you enjoyed it. Wow you're the second Dorista that made lemon curd also this week. I will need to try it.

Diane Balch said...

You nailed it: gelatinous goodness.

Nana said...

Both of your recipes looks wonderful, but that lemon curd is something else. I am going to have to try to make that soon.

tricia s. said...

The soup was a hit in our house as well. It was yummy and I have to admit it was the perfect time of year for cooking a stew for 3 hours (so that did help :). But it always is the perfect time for lemon curd. I absolutely have to try Dorie's recipe- yours looks amazing ~

Jora said...

The soup was great, but you really have me craving lemon curd now. I need to come up with an excuse to make some!

OMG! Yummy said...

I am making it today - plan to cook it for less time - we'll see what happens. Can I have some lemon curd?

Merryn@merrynsmenu said...

Awesome thick soup! I love the idea of slow cooked and forkable. An absolute all together phenomenon. Your lemon curd is delectable, perfect now that the bulging lemon trees are almost ripe. A very nice post :D