Sunday, February 23, 2014

Date and Tahini Slice (Bars)



Tahini is an ingredient that until fairly recently, I had never used.  This made it rather mysterious and elusive.  However, on the recommendation of my naturopath, I have recently been using it to flavour Greek yoghurt, which is rather nice. 

I wanted to find another uses for tahini other than in yoghurt and hommus, so I once again searched the Internet, and came up with this recipe for date and tahini slice.   (For US readers, our name for bar cookies is "slice".)

This batter is definitely not pouring consistency - you press it into the pan.  I used dessicated coconut, white plain flour and less dates to match what I had on hand.  It didn't seem to have a negative effect on the end product - it really was just like a peanut butter square.

I liked this recipe and I would definitely make it again.  It is also super easy and quick to make, which is perfect if you are baking mid-week.

7 comments:

Catherine said...

These sound wonderful. I have tahini in the fridge. It can be tricky finding new recipes...but these bars look wonderful. Blessings, Catherine xo

yummychunklet said...

Thanks for sharing! Leftover tahini from hummus is usually what prevents me from making the stuff in the first place!

The Caked Crusader said...

I used tahini in a cake once and it worked really well. Your slices look perfect to enjoy with a cuppa

Kari said...

I only discovered tahini a few years back too, but now can't imagine doing without it. I've found more and more things to add it to over time, but these slices are a new idea and look fantastic!

2paw said...

I definitely need to give tahini a whirl!!!

Sarah said...

I am amazed by the idea of tahini in Greek yogurt - that sounds strange enough to be worth trying; haha! Also in a sweet like a date slice sounds bizarre. Thanks for the new ideas!

Kathy said...

Gaye, Coming from a Lebanese background I grew up on Tahini. Your recipe for these bars sound so delicious…can’t wait to give it a try!