Sunday, February 9, 2014

Banana Bread


While I was staying with my mother last week, we ended up with a bunch of overripe bananas that Mum was going to throw out.  I decided to rescue three out of four of them by making banana bread from this recipe.   Although the recipe only calls for two bananas, my bananas were smallish, so the additional banana did not mess with the balance of ingredients.

A slice of this:
 

served warm with butter was delightful.  Unfortunately, as is their way, my family wasted most of it, Mum claiming she doesn't like banana bread and my brother being more interested in store bought delights, but that doesn't take away from the fact that this was damn fine banana bread; I can't help it that my family are ultra-fussy.

If you have a couple of bananas that are beyond redemption for eating, consider this banana bread recipe - it will save on food wastage, and you will have yourself a delicious breakfast or anytime treat.

3 comments:

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Nice save Cakelaw! Oh what a shame your family didn't appreciate the home made goodness of it :(

Kari said...

I am always amazed at people who throw away ripe bananas. Other than banana bread - and I can't believe your family didn't like this, as it looks excellent! - they are so easy to freeze for later smoothies. Thank goodness you were able to come to the rescue :)

~~louise~~ said...

I just had to laugh, (in a good way of course:) when I saw your Banana Bread, Cakelaw. I just arrived from Barbara's Moveable Feast and she baked a Donna Hay Chocolate Banana Bread, lol... I love banana bread any ol' way and yours sounds just perfect with a nice cup of tea.

I have gotten into the habit of freezing bananas. I must admit, they don't look too appetizing in the freezer but oh my goodness when the yen for a smoothie or bread attacks, I sure am glad they are there. Perhaps your mom would like the leftovers in a pudding. It really is delicious too!

Thank you so much for sharing. I guess you could take it home and yes, freeze it!