Thursday, December 6, 2012

Donna Hay's Beehive Cupcakes



Today we held an afternoon tea at work in honour of Janet, who finishes up this week to have a baby.  Linda made a beautiful nappy cake for Janet as a gift from all of Janet's colleagues, and there was terrific catering from Junto Cafe.  And of course, I baked.  My contribution to our feast was Donna Hay's Beehive Cupcakes, with honey buttercream icing instead of meringue icing because I did not want to feed uncooked eggs to a pregnant lady.

My beehives look a little flat, primarily because it was a warm night and there was no time for me to set my buttercream before piping it onto the cakes.  I don't think anyone, least of all me, cared about that.  

The resulting honey flavoured cupcakes with honey icing were devine.  There was not so much honey as to make the cakes sickeningly sweet - the honey just added a pleasant sweetness and no more.

You can find the recipe for the cakes here on Donna Hay's website.  And you can find the recipe for the honey buttercream here.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

They look delicious! I had forgotten about Donna Hay. I used to cook out of one of her cookbooks quite a bit. Thanks for reminding me!

Not Quite Nigella said...

They are perfect! Love the use of honey in them and I like that it's not too sickly sweet but just a nice taste of honey.

Kari said...

These are beautiful - what a lovely contribution to the farewell. I love the idea of honey icing instead of meringue too.

Anonymous said...

Ooh, these look delicious. Love the hive as a decoration!

Finla said...

I love Donna hay recipes and have a book from her which i love and this cupcake looks so good.

Kathy said...

Such pretty cupcakes…and so delicious looking!

Jill said...

Lovely, and buttercream sounds tastier to me than meringue icing.

Johanna GGG said...

goodness - your icing on a bad day looks far better than my icing on a good day - and love honey in cakes - sounds delicious

Elaine said...

They look so pretty and perfect for a baby shower.

Hazel - Chicken in a Cherry Sauce said...

I've never seen a purely honey flavoured cake before, but it adding only a pleasant sweetness sounds like the perfect honey cake!

Kayte said...

Donna Hay's Beehive Cupcakes...why oh why have I not made these? Honey is one of my favorites...I really should keep it under lock and key so I can't swipe spoonfuls of it in weak moments! lol These look beautiful, Gaye.