Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Daring Bakers - November - Twelve Days of Cookies


It's time for November Daring Bakers.

Holiday season is the time for sharing and Peta of Peta Eats is sharing a dozen cookies, some classics and some of her own, from all over the world with us.

I am very time poor at the moment, so I only made one of Peta's 12 cookie recipes, and the simplest one I could find.  My choice was the Foaming Milk Cookies.  Peta explains:

Foaming Milk Cookies are an old family recipe from my mother in-law, perfect for the allergy sufferers. There are no eggs in the recipe. I have made these with water, juices and a variety of milk substitutes. I have used butter and margarines. I have used gluten free, rice, nut and coconut flours. I have added spices, nuts, dried fruits and chocolate chips. This recipe always works.

Even better, they take 10 minutes to prepare, 1 hour to freeze while you go off and have a life, and 10 minutes to bake.  What could be easier?

The dough was very soft, but froze into logs well.  I rolled my logs in red sanding sugar to make them festive with as little effort as possible.

Here is te recipe for those who are interested in making these cookies:

Ingredients

1½ cups (340 gm) (12 oz) sugar
½ cup (120 ml) milk
4 cups (560 gm) (20 oz) all-purpose (plain) flour
1 cup (240 ml) (225 gm) (8 oz) softened butter
1 teaspoon (5 gm) bi-carbonate soda
2 tablespoons (30 ml) hot water


Directions

1. Preheat oven to moderate 350°F/ 180°C/gas mark 4.
2. Rub the butter into flour until it looks like fine breadcrumbs or blitz together in a food processor.
3. If you use your food processor tip the flour and butter into a metal bowl.
4. Melt the milk and sugar together.
5. Dissolve the bi-carbonate soda into the hot water.
6. Add to the milk and sugar and mix quickly into the flour/butter until well combined.
7. The mixture will be runny but it will firm up as it cools.
8. When the dough has cooled roll it out to 1/5-inch (1/2-cm) thick and cut out with the cookie cutters or roll into logs and freeze for ½ - 1 hour until firm and cut it.
9. Place on greased trays and bake in a moderate oven for 10 – 15 minutes or until golden.
10. Allow to cool slightly on the tray and then move to cooling rack.


Thanks to Peta for hosting us this month.  To check out many other Christmas cookies, view the slideshow in the Daring Kitchen website.

16 comments:

Finla said...

I totally forgot about DB this month don't know i will do them in the last minute now, your cookie look good.

Anonymous said...

Foaming milk? Intriguing. And, I love the red swirls.

Cher Rockwell said...

Somehow, I missed the foaming milk cookies. Very interesting!
I hate it when life gets in the way of my desserts :-)

Jane said...

The name of this cookie intrigues me. Definitely one to try in the future. I love that your cookies have just the right amount of swirls. They really pop!

Anonymous said...

the foaming cookies were easiest to work with and took no time at all. i hope u have time to try the other recipes before christmas :)

Not Quite Nigella said...

I was intrigued by the foaming milk cookies too! I wish I had tried them! :)

Kari said...

Foaming milk has got my curiousity piqued too!

Kim said...

So glad you had some time to at least give the foaming cookies a try. I think your cookies look great. And I took a look at some of your other blog posts, oh my goodness you do a lot of cooking blog challenges. Thanks for sharring!

The Betz Family said...

Lack of time over here too! I had high hopes to make 12 different varieties but ended up only making two. Your foaming milk cookies sound interesting and easy. Nice job on the challenge!

Shelley said...

Great looking cookies! I love Christmas time because it's also cookie time.

Flourchild said...

Very festive!!

Daphne Elliot said...

I love simple cookies!!! So great for holiday parties.

Choc Chip Uru @ Go Bake Yourself said...

Perfect xmas cookies :D

Cheers
CCU

Johanna GGG said...

love these biscuits - was surprised at the recipe because they looked so impressive I expected more complexity in the recipe - they look simple enough to try if only I had the time :-)

Kristin said...

Somehow this recipe slipped through my radar - well done on the challenge.

Elaine said...

What an interesting recipe. They look delicious!