Tuesday, October 9, 2018

TWD - Bettelman



For Tuesday with Dorie this week, I made a pudding that was invented by the Alsatians to use up stale bread called Bettelman or "beggar".  This is anything but a beggar's pudding though, as you need stale brioche to make it.  At $5.50 a loaf, I don't consider brioche to be cheap.

The brioche is soaked in milk, and eggs, apple, spices and calvados are added to the mix, then baked to produce a bread pudding.

I was not much keen on this on day one served warm, as it seemed a little dry to me.  However, after a day in the fridge, the Bettelman was a different beast, and had come together to be quite moist in the middle.  I recommend eating the Bettelman cold after it has had a day or two in the fridge.

To see what the other Dorie bakers made this week, visit the LYL section of the TWD website.

12 comments:

Mardi Michels said...

I'm not a bread pudding fan at all but splurged for some brioche and will serve it room temp with some cream (just a little taste for me because I'm sure it's not my thing!). I really liked the step of whipping the egg whites to lighten this up a little bit!

Johanna GGG said...

Obviously the alsatians are rolling in brioche and don't know what to do with it - I certainly don't have it hanging around but it would be quite tasty in a bread and butter pudding - glad it finally worked for you

Lorraine @ Not said...

Interesting how it changes over time! And yes brioche isn't an inexpensive item is it.

Summer said...

It looks delicious! I agree that a days rest in the refrigerator is very good for it.

Shirley@EverOpenSauce said...

I'm with you on the different beast comment on day two for the Bettelman. It makes me think twice about bread pudding.

Teresa said...

I enjoyed it on the first day, but loved it on subsequent days. It's great to have a dessert that improves over time, especially on a weekend.

Pam said...

Whoa, that's some expensive brioche there by you! Looking in her cookbook now, it sounds great, interesting that it's better the next day after being refrigerated.

Isthisakeeper said...

You are so right...not a cheap "beggar" dessert haha! We were surprised by this one and really enjoyed it!

Diane Zwang said...

Agree with you that we enjoyed it cold the next day. Is Challah just as expensive?

Cakelaw said...

Yes, all regarded as special breads here so are pricey, even at Jewish bakeries.

Zosia said...

Yes, I thought it was better the next day. Specialty breads are quite expensive here as well.

steph- whisk/spoon said...

i love the comment by johanna above! that's why i rarely make bread pudding at home, but it's a tasty treat once in awhile.