Tuesday, May 22, 2018

TWD - Springtime Cookies and Curd



For Tuesdays with Dorie a couple of weeks back, we made Double-Butter Double-Baked Petit Beurre Cookies.  This week's recipe involves taking those cookies and turning them into a fruity dessert.


It is difficult to see in my photos, but the base of the dessert is a cookie, which is then topped with curd.  The recipe specified making grapefruit curd, but I still had citrus curd from a little while ago.  I could not justify making yet more curd, so I just used the citrus curd that I had.  Dorie also suggested making an optional rhubarb compote to top the curd, but I skipped that too.  Finally, the cookie and curd are topped by strawberries macerated in sugar and Kirsch.  I definitely recommend using the Kirsch if you have it - there's nothing like boozy, syrupy fruit.

I really enjoyed this dessert, despite it being autumn (nearly winter!) rather than spring in my neck of the woods.

To see what everyone else made this week, visit the LYL section of the TWD website.

10 comments:

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

It sounds delicious and looks very pretty! :D Sort of like a trifle?

Cakelaw said...

Hi Lorraine, yes, like a trifle.

Mardi (eat. live. travel. write.) said...

I loved this kinda sorta trifle as well!

steph- whisk/spoon said...

yes please to boozy, syrupy fruit! i was thankful to also have curd on hand and be able to skip that step.

Johanna GGG said...

It does not feel very spring like but I am sure this would go down well in any weather

Kari said...

This looks beautiful. It's seasonally appropriate here too!

Summer said...

It looks delicious!! Kudos to you for finding strawberries in fall/winter. You are definitely a good sport for baking with a mostly inverted season schedule.

Ryan said...

Your curd looks delicious! I'm sure your cookies were, too! :)

Zosia said...

That looks sooo good. I think any kind of citrus curd would go well with boozy, syrupy fruit.

Diane Zwang said...

We enjoyed this one but it was many steps for one dessert.